Cage questions - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-09-2009, 10:40 PM   #1
DragonHeadBoB
Warning! Cage questions

Hey guys I was looking for some ideas for some cage flooring. I have 6 Full grown bearded dragons and all of my cages are 6 footL by 2 feetW. I am currently using the green astroturf at the moment but wanted to get some ideas as to what other people are doing. I won't use the sand never again it killed one of my dragons a month ago. the first thing i did was removed all my sand i have huge bags of it sitting around. It would be cool if you guys would give me some ideas and maybe some pictures.

thanks alot
Matt.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:12 PM   #2
DragonKeeper86
I like tile. Make sure its textured, not smooth, or your beardies will be slipping and sliding all over lol. Its permanent, looks nice, easy to clean and keep disinfected. Its my substrate of choice for my dragons. Its a little pricey to get it all in (not even that bad though), but its permanent, so you never have to replace it.
Heres one of my tanks I did a few years ago:

Old 05-10-2009, 09:01 AM   #3
DragonHeadBoB
Wow thats really cool i've heard of people using it before but it does look awesome. where did you get your tile home depot? or lowes or something?

Old 05-10-2009, 02:23 PM   #4
DragonKeeper86
I went to a specialty tile store, and they had a bunch of extra, cheap tiles that they had a ton of and could never get rid of. I would call around first. I got a whole box of like 20-30 tiles (I think like 8"x8" or 6x6 or something) for like $10. You need:
- Tiles (make sure they have a rough/semi rough texture to them, not the smooth shiny ones). You can get whatever size you want... I think the smaller ones look nicer... but you can get bigger ones too and it will be less work.
- Grout, I used pre-mixed for that, but if your doing many enclosures get the stuff that you mix yourself... it will be cheaper and you'll get waaaay more. - Grout sealer (non-toxic, modge-podge is good)
- Tile spacers (I used 1/4" or 1/2" I think).

Just measure the inside dimensions of your enclosure (not the outside). Then determine what size tiles you wanna go with and decide how many your gonna need. They usually come in a box of a certain amount, as you can see from the picture I used some of the extra ones for stairs lol. The tile store or Home Depot/Lowes can help you cut and measure what you need if you bring them the dimensions. You might also want to glue them down to the bottom of your enclosure cause if it gets bumped or whatever and the tiles move a little it can crack the grout. Once water gets under the tiles, mold will grow... and you will need to tear them out and start over, so make sure you grout and seal very well... dont leave any cracks. Good luck! Post some pics when your done. If you need more help go to Repticzone.com and post in the Bearded Dragon Community forum... most people on there use tile and can help you. There are some pretty cool ways to do it too if you wanna get creative with it... mine is pretty plain compared to some others.

Old 06-06-2009, 08:03 PM   #5
Crazy4Herps
I also use tiles and love them!
Mine aren't grouted in, but I've cut them so they fit nicely.

Super easy to clean, hold heat very well, and help wear down beardie nails.

I had some left-overs from when we re-did our bathroom floors. Originally from Home Depot. Just make sure you bleach them first (rinse well!).

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!