Man feeds kitten to burmese python in UK - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:18 AM   #21
Focal
I would probably never feed a kitten to a snake, but come on, this is no reason to freak out. Millions of PEOPLE are eating kittens and puppies as we speak (err type).

Old 12-06-2011, 03:53 PM   #22
Mike Schultz
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidfixer View Post
This is not a moral issue, its an common sense issue. There is a HUGE fucking difference between rats and cats. Cats are one of the most affectionate creatures in the world. They make excellent companion animals, and You DO NOT feed companion animals to ANYTHING.

Rats are responsible for the transmission of over 70 diseases. Their feeding habits are destructive and their nesting behaviors can compromise the structure of infested buildings. It was they (not cats) that carried the fleas that spread the bubonic plague in the 17th century. Rats are nasty creatures and deserve to end up as snake shit.
Lol rats are way more affectionate than cats... my cat was awesome as a kitten but now he ignores me until he wants food.

Old 12-06-2011, 04:33 PM   #23
AbsoluteApril
I've been avoiding reading this thread as a huge cat lover (I do like rodents as well, my first pets were mice and rats) but finally made myself take a look.

My main outrage was why and how he did it... "At the end of the seven-minute footage there is a chillingly threat of more 'feeding videos'." he knows doing this would elicit an emotional outcry from people, he put the kitten in a santa hat... he distracted it so it was not aware there was a predator nearby. He was IMO doing it only to be cruel.

I have heard about wild pythons taking dogs (and chickens) from people's property, makes sense cats may be taken as well (heck, coyotes and racoons will kill/eat cats here in CA). It's this person's motives that irk me. Do I think snakes should be fed dogs or cats? No, I do not. Just my opinion, my very biased cat loving opinion. Yes, I know that makes me a bit of a hypocrite since I have fed mice, rats and rabbits to my snakes, all of which can also make good pets. The main difference in my eyes is that those animals I fed were specifically raised for food and were killed in a humane manner with as little suffering as possible (it can take a long time for a big snake to kill a jumbo rat, the rat suffers). Plus, feeding any kind of live animal, especially another predator, to a snake is always a danger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Method919 View Post
Feeding live vs dead is a separate issue. I personally feel (for what should be obvious reasons morally) that live prey should never be offered unless necessary.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:58 PM   #24
Slashmaster
Your post is pretty much how I feel about this, April. It wasn't a clear cut situation where someone is simply feeding "feeder kittens" (though that would disturb me, having a cat bias myself) ... it's obvious he did this to stir people up and to be cruel.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:07 AM   #25
Pinkypie
Unfortunately cats seem to be a target for abuse and such..I had a really nice cat I found on the side of the road with a broken leg.We took him home and raised him up and someone shot him, poor guy bled to death on my porch, sweetest cat ever too.I love cats(have three) but IDK it really doesnt bother me all that much if someone fed a cat to a snake,protein is protein..Maybe Ive desensitized myself too much after years of putting down rats, mice, rabbits and quail..Feeding it live and filming it is just sick and twisted though and I hope this guy is caught and his animal confiscated..

Old 12-07-2011, 09:19 AM   #26
rcarichter
Does anyone know if snakes are susceptible to the same bacterial dangers from cats that humans are? I had a friend that was hospitalized with a terrible infection (from a cat bite) that became systemic. I know reptiles aren't bothered by most of what gets us, just curious.
Being purposely cruel makes me sick!

Noelle

Old 12-07-2011, 09:41 AM   #27
Shadera
I think I'd be bothered by any animal being treated that way.

Old 12-07-2011, 02:42 PM   #28
Mike Schultz
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarichter View Post
Does anyone know if snakes are susceptible to the same bacterial dangers from cats that humans are? I had a friend that was hospitalized with a terrible infection (from a cat bite) that became systemic. I know reptiles aren't bothered by most of what gets us, just curious.
Being purposely cruel makes me sick!

Noelle
Most of the time bacteria tend to be very picky about the environment they live in... i.e. a bacteria that lives in a cat's mouth (99-101 degrees or so) isn't going to survive very well in a snake's 80-90 degree blood.

Sometimes bacteria can be hardy enough to survive in other conditions long enough to be transferred to a host where they can thrive but I don't think there are any that can actually infect both cold and warm blooded animals (if i'm wrong somebody please correct me)

Old 12-08-2011, 09:35 AM   #29
John Apple
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focal X View Post
I would probably never feed a kitten to a snake, but come on, this is no reason to freak out. Millions of PEOPLE are eating kittens and puppies as we speak (err type).
....yup they taste kinda like bald eagle or manatee....really what is all the fuss....a lot of folk 'snap' the neck of a cute lil easter bunny before feeding them off

Old 12-08-2011, 11:21 PM   #30
JColt
I love all animals pretty much but I'm no tree hugging hippie about it. I would how ever probably beat the living snot out of some one doing that if I knew them. It's uncalled for. To me it is no more than torturing a pet only instead of beating or burning it, You use a large snake. To do that to a domesticated, trusting and loving pet shows a careless punk who needs to be treated in the same manner.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!