Egg Eating Snakes - Where do you get eggs? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Other Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-04-2015, 05:45 PM   #1
Sofia
Question Egg Eating Snakes - Where do you get eggs?

I've wanted an egg eating snake for quite a while but haven't yet found any local finch or canary breeders who could supply me with enough eggs. I've been waiting for a snake large enough to eat commercially produced quail eggs but it seems that Dasypeltis are sold infrequently and are often too small for quail eggs at the time they're offered for sale.

Those of you who have smaller egg-eating snakes, where do you get your eggs? Dare I hope that somewhere out there is a supplier selling tiny little cartons of finch eggs?

Thanks.

Old 10-04-2015, 05:51 PM   #2
Lucille
I am a new owner of zebra finches. They are like rabbits in that they try to breed all the time.
I think if you buy 5 or 6 you will have more eggs than you know what to do with. And zebras are inexpensive. A community cage with 6 would be good, for some reason I've read that one pair is fine, two pairs will fight, and three pairs are fine. Make sure to put a couple of inexpensive finch nests in, the sight of the nest seems to cue them to lay.
There are several sites about keeping finches or PM me and I'll be glad to help.

Old 10-04-2015, 06:10 PM   #3
Sofia
Thanks, Lucille. I did have 3 zebra finches for ~11 years, until they passed away last year. They were adorable little guys and made the sweetest noises but they're just so very messy. I'm not eager to have finches again.

Old 10-18-2015, 07:33 PM   #4
snakesareawesome
I have a pair of zebras but they really don't even produce enough for one snake. I would suggest you start with a larger specimen that is known to be feeding in captivity.

Old 10-18-2015, 08:08 PM   #5
Sofia
Thanks. That was my original plan but I haven't yet found one that is eating quail eggs. I haven't had any luck locating a source of finch eggs, either, so I guess it's back to Plan A.

Old 10-18-2015, 09:18 PM   #6
Helenthereef
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
I am a new owner of zebra finches. They are like rabbits in that they try to breed all the time.
Lucille, I think you may have a new business opportunity on your hands! Just wondering who you could get to make those tiny egg boxes....

Old 10-18-2015, 09:39 PM   #7
Sofia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenthereef View Post
Lucille, I think you may have a new business opportunity on your hands! Just wondering who you could get to make those tiny egg boxes....
It's true, Lucille! I'm not the only one bemoaning the scarcity of finch eggs, and there you sit, on a veritable gold mine. Let me know when you're ready to become a finch egg tycoon.

Old 06-22-2020, 08:16 PM   #8
Snakelover121
Yes I am looking for some too if available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 07-08-2020, 08:22 AM   #9
303_enfield
E-bay for eggs. Button quail eggs can be found all day long. Finch eggs show up but not often.
Button:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/12-BUTTON-Q...YAAOSw7UBeO46u

How many eggs are needed per snake a month? Local old school pet shops would rather sell them then throw them out. Place a wanted to buy Finch eggs on Craigslist. You'll find some.

Good luck!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!