Giant Wolf Spider (Hogna carolinensis) - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Insects and Arachnids > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Insects and Arachnids.

Old 05-31-2006, 07:02 AM   #1
bullsnakes_rule
Giant Wolf Spider (Hogna carolinensis)

Hello, all.

I just want to share some wonderful news with you in saying that I am getting 3 live female giant wolf spiders (Hogna carolinensis) from Todd Gearheart on Thursday, June 1st, 2006. In fact, H. carolinensis is the LARGEST species of wolf spider in North America! This particular species can reach 3" to 4" legspan... which is the size of a "typical" man's palm!!! This species is my #1 favorite spider in the entire world (In my humble opinion, giant wolf spiders are a lot more interesting & fascinating to observe than tarantulas.)! I can't wait until these ENORMOUS spiders arrive here! I am sooooooo very happy and excited about this to say the least! Perhaps I will shoot some pics and post them here in the future. I will keep all of you updated.

Take care,
Terry

Old 05-31-2006, 02:02 PM   #2
John Apple
Man that is too cool William, it has been a while since I had some of those.
Were they wild cought ? cause if they were the females might be gravid if full grown adults and I'll trade ya something for them

True spiders are something a forgotten avenue with all the hubbub about tarantulas [cept at my house ].

Old 06-01-2006, 12:35 AM   #3
bullsnakes_rule
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Apple
Man that is too cool William, it has been a while since I had some of those.
Were they wild cought ? cause if they were the females might be gravid if full grown adults and I'll trade ya something for them

True spiders are something a forgotten avenue with all the hubbub about tarantulas [cept at my house ].
Hello, John.

Thank you very much for your reply. I am glad that I found someone else who loves giant wolf spiders at least half as much as I do! Hehehe!!! By the way, do you keep any true spiders? If so, which ones? I also would love to obtain some large fishing spiders such as Dolomedes tenebrosus. This particular species grows just as large as H. carolinensis in legspan.

Yes, my giant wolf spiders are wild caught. I think they were collected in Arizona. These are adults.

The guy who I am getting them from called me today and told me that he will only be able to send me two adult females (instead of three) because the third one recently had a bad molt. So, he made me an offer. He told me that he will send me an adult male along with the two adult females. WOW!!! This means that I can breed them if I want to (By the way, I DO have experience with breeding this species.)! However, I am not really sure if I want to breed them or not because I am NOT really set up for such a large operation. I have neither hundreds of deli containers nor pinhead crickets (much less hundreds of tanks to put them in as they grow larger!). It really is a labor of love.

Take care,
Terry

Old 06-01-2006, 04:26 PM   #4
John Apple
Hey William...oops Terry

I catch Dolo's every year on the Peshtigo river up north in Wi.
Sooo that being said I will catch a few extra this year for you, I also keep latrodectus and some phid's I find around here.
been looking for pursewebs but have found none this year

Old 06-03-2006, 12:57 AM   #5
bullsnakes_rule
Quote:
Hey William...oops Terry

I catch Dolo's every year on the Peshtigo river up north in Wi.
Sooo that being said I will catch a few extra this year for you, I also keep latrodectus and some phid's I find around here.
been looking for pursewebs but have found none this year
Regarding my name: My first name is William, but I actually go by Terry (which is my middle name). So, you can call me Terry. It is confusing, isn't it? LOL!!!

Anyway...

I got my giant wolf spiders in. However, the male died... unfortunately! So, the guy said he will send me another male next week free of charge. I mounted the one that died in a clear plastic display case. It looks awesome! He measures nearly 4" in legspan! By the way, I am gonna try to breed my giant wolfies after the other male arrives. If I am successful, then I will send you some spiderlings.

Awwwwwww... You would actually collect some D. tenebrosus for me? Thank you very much! I've been wanting some of these for quite a while now. I want the LARGEST ones which you can possible get (The larger the better!). I want some monsters (males and females... preferrably females though)! Thanks a million! As far as I know, this is the largest species of Dolomedes in North America. Correct?

Take care,
Terry

Old 06-05-2006, 06:30 AM   #6
John Apple
Yes Yerry...The D.T.'s are the largest Dolo's in North America.
My wife and I run a bright light on the banks of the Peshtigo river and see the big %&*@ers with their legs hanging on the water and one holding the bank...too cool a sight. We usually catch about 4-7 large adults each night.
These guys are rather aggressive and they bite hard [been bitten and it sucks]. I only see the males away from water and the females and young hang out on the banks.

Old 06-18-2006, 04:05 PM   #7
bullsnakes_rule
Hello, John.

I sincerely apologize for not responding sooner. However, I've been recovering from a major dental procedure.

Anyway...

Yes, I would be VERY INTERESTED in obtaining some monster D. tenebrosus from you. I am really looking forward to it!

It must be hell to be bitten by one of those spiders!

By the way, I have some great news regarding my giant wolf spiders. I will post the news in another post. So, please keep your eyes open for it.

Take care,
Terry

Quote:
Yes Yerry...The D.T.'s are the largest Dolo's in North America.
My wife and I run a bright light on the banks of the Peshtigo river and see the big %&*@ers with their legs hanging on the water and one holding the bank...too cool a sight. We usually catch about 4-7 large adults each night.
These guys are rather aggressive and they bite hard [been bitten and it sucks]. I only see the males away from water and the females and young hang out on the banks.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!