GROUNDBREAKING EXPERIMENT WITH PAPER WASPS - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Insects and Arachnids > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Insects and Arachnids.

Old 03-21-2008, 05:53 AM   #1
bullsnakes_rule
GROUNDBREAKING EXPERIMENT WITH PAPER WASPS

I collected a large P. exclamans colony and brought it into captivity on Thanksgiving Day of last year. It is still doing well in captivity. In fact, there are literally 50 or 60 females which are still alive after nearly four months in captivity! Also, there are 14 males which are still alive in a separate enclosure. My experiment obviously PROVES that a person can sustain a wasp colony (including workers & males) for an entire winter on water and honey! The wasps did not raise any young during this time. Interestingly, I did NOT put these wasps into hibernation during the winter. I am VERY THRILLED that my wasp colony has made it through the winter!!! I am breaking new ground with my experiment (I am not aware of anyone else who is doing this!). The next step is to transfer the colony & their nest outdoors inside a bee skep so the wasps can free-range. The goal of this experiment is to see if I can get a huge perennial Polistes nest... which has never been done before to my knowledge. I don't know if this is even possible since I didn't hibernate the wasps. We will see what happens... Regardless, my experiment has been a COMPLETE SUCCESS so far!

Old 03-21-2008, 09:03 AM   #2
John Apple
Cool man...there are too few people working with wasps and similiar insects.
Post a pic of your setup. I would like to see it.
Did you try feeding the wasps on some silkworm or mealies on occasion.
Lack of protein kinda makes me think that is why no larva were produced, might even be the day cycle....ya know shorter days

All in all very neet

Old 03-30-2008, 12:27 AM   #3
bullsnakes_rule
I am glad that you are impressed with my experiment!

Well, I tried giving my colony two different kinds of caterpillars, but the wasps would NOT take the protein which I offered them. I guess this is because they were in "winter mode" (In other words, perhaps they are not "programmed" to breed during the winter.)! Anyway, I just basically wanted to keep the colony alive through the winter and then I will allow the wasps to fend for themselves when I locate them outdoors in the spring.

Hmmmm... I am not sure how to post pics here. I have TWO pics which I want you to check out. I have enclosed two links (There is one pic in each link. Please check out BOTH links. Thanks!). You will need to become a member of the VenomList website in order to see the pics. Here ya go:

http://venomlist.com/forums/index.ph...dpost&p=214923
and
http://venomlist.com/forums/index.ph...dpost&p=227985

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Apple
Cool man...there are too few people working with wasps and similiar insects.
Post a pic of your setup. I would like to see it.
Did you try feeding the wasps on some silkworm or mealies on occasion.
Lack of protein kinda makes me think that is why no larva were produced, might even be the day cycle....ya know shorter days

All in all very neet

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!