Can you convince me? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Other Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-05-2012, 03:47 PM   #11
Dbz4246
That's good info to know! And I have looked up some hognose and found a few other species, why would they not be a good choice? And that's a good way to describe house snakes, and you would be the secOnd person to compare them to pythons. Maybe that's why I haven't really gotten into colubrids much, cause I love my boids, it's just not the same when I handle certain colubrids ya know?

Old 10-05-2012, 04:23 PM   #12
MDC_Ophiuchus
All hognose snakes are naturally amphibian eaters. The other species are notoriously difficult to convert to a rodent diet. Its not impossible, but it takes a lot of patience, perseverance...and there's no guarantee every specimen will convert. And few hobbyists have access to feeder toads year-round.

A good example is the eastern hognose snake. Fairly common throughout its range; most of us have probably seen one in the wild once or twice. But it takes a dedicated keeper to maintain them longterm in captivity. Lots of people catch them, feed them toads as they find them, but they're SOL come winter. The southern hognose is about the same.

Other species aren't quite as difficult, but still not easy compared to western hognoses and other more popular colubrids. These would include the tri-color hognoses of South America, and the Madagascar hognose species. If you think trying to get a finicky python or boa to eat F/T from live prey, try converting a hognose from eating amphibians!

Old 10-05-2012, 05:44 PM   #13
Dbz4246
Lol ok yea that does sound excruciating! Point taken, avoid other hognose species, thanks! See this is the kind of info that I couldnt find on my own, glad I posted on here!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!