Too small to breed? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Hognose Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-23-2016, 12:25 PM   #1
phoenix-cry
Too small to breed?

So I have an amazing deep red anaconda hognose male who is 55 grams after brumination but is also three years old. He eats like there is NO tomorrow. I don't know why he's still so small, I'm guessing he's just always going to be on the smaller side. My female is just shy of 275 grams....she is so much bigger than him that I literally worry about her eating him. Is this really a concern? Since bringing them out of brumination (I brought him out earlier so I could get him feeding again) he is just cruising around, very active, constantly tasting the air, she is in the tub below him and I get the sense that he knows there is a female down there. But I don't know if she's too much woman for him.

Thoughts?

Old 03-23-2016, 01:40 PM   #2
Beyond GenetiX
I have a smaller male that I paired with a bigger female. I would watch them for the first few minutes together. If she is ready I wouldn't be concerned.

Old 03-23-2016, 05:46 PM   #3
phoenix-cry
I actually just rechecked, and realized that she's 350 not 275 (not sure where I got the 275...must have dreamed it). She's proven from last year.

So no worries on hognose eating hognose.

Old 03-23-2016, 09:33 PM   #4
Big Borg Reptiles
I put male hoggies in with females 5 times their size. Hogs aren't known for being cannibalistic, I wouldn't worry about it at all

Old 03-23-2016, 09:36 PM   #5
phoenix-cry
Oh good. He's just so small in comparison!

Old 03-23-2016, 09:39 PM   #6
Big Borg Reptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix-cry View Post
Oh good. He's just so small in comparison!
lol yea, I have a big 500+ gram female that I'm pairing, the male looks like a little worm next to her.

Old 03-23-2016, 09:49 PM   #7
phoenix-cry
Heehee. Awesome

Old 03-29-2016, 09:31 AM   #8
phoenix-cry
So I put my boy in with my gal and I think it's love! Heehee.

The female put her head up in the air and then started this kind of 'thumping' with her whole body. Meanwhile he was just rubbing all over her.

Right now he's got his head wrapped around her neck and he's laying on her back completely. Although he's really going to have to slide down if he's going to actually accomplish anything.

Old 03-29-2016, 09:39 AM   #9
Beyond GenetiX
I'm sure he will be able to figure it out. I have a small albino conda I thought would never figure it out when I paired him with my big female. Checked on them later and they were locked together.

Old 03-29-2016, 09:42 AM   #10
phoenix-cry
Never underestimate a male's ability to figure mating out.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!