Have a serious question? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-27-2013, 11:51 PM   #1
chodmcblob707070
Have a serious question?

Hello I don't know if it has been done or even want to be done yet, but has anyone tried making a tremper albino bell albino gecko, or vis versa with the rainwater albino and seeing that it would probably take awhile to do, is it even worth it thanks and please explain if you know anything about it. : )

Old 03-28-2013, 08:50 PM   #2
pilsboy
different kind of albino shouldnt be mixed ...

Old 03-28-2013, 10:56 PM   #3
chodmcblob707070
Well that's not helping my question, I know you can't take a tremper and a bell and make albino they would be double het for tremper and bell, but my question is has anyone done it, and its not like if you do the geckos get adds, there both the same species, lol

Old 03-28-2013, 10:57 PM   #4
chodmcblob707070
Corrections sorry aids lol not adds

Old 03-30-2013, 11:21 PM   #5
MiamiGeckos
They can get aids by having sex with other species??? what the..

Old 03-31-2013, 12:15 AM   #6
chodmcblob707070
Lol read it again, I was saying they don't lol....

Old 03-31-2013, 10:56 AM   #7
snowgyre
I believe all the albinos were cross mixed at first to make sure they were independent albino genes and not variations of the same gene. However, now that we know there are three different albino strains in leopard geckos that are genetically distinct, cross breeding them is no longer necessary and rightfully discouraged.

Old 03-31-2013, 11:03 AM   #8
chodmcblob707070
That was a much better response thank you, one more thing why is it discouraged, I don't understand, there all the same species.

Old 03-31-2013, 11:09 AM   #9
snowgyre
Because it's rare for a single species to have three strains of albinism. If we bred all the albinos together, then we wouldn't be sure if the babies that hatch out are Bells, Rainwaters, or Trempers. It would be a genetic soup and you would actually lose diversity through genetic dilution. We are incredibly lucky to have three strains of albinos in leopard geckos, why dilute their importance by cross breeding them? Besides, I also don't know if the health of the animal would be decreased if he/she had more than one albino gene. Think about it... if you get whacked with three strains of albino all at once, then you might be even MORE light sensitive or susceptible to illness. I don't know if that actually happened during the cross-breeding experiments though.

As a side note, just because they're all the same species shouldn't justify breeding them together. You're the same species as your sister or mother, but I certainly hope you don't breed them.

Old 03-31-2013, 01:03 PM   #10
chodmcblob707070
Yeah I understand that, but now your talking about animals and humans, reptiles or lets just focus on the Leo's don't have inbreeding problem so to compare that aspect doesn't work. But I totally understand the albino situation and I really appreciate the more reasonable response and your input, I was just sitting around looking at one or my giant raptor males and was like has there ever been moments lol and now this , but thanks a lot and that's makes a lot of sense : )

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!