Dogs: litterbox? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Mammals > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Mammals.

Old 11-16-2005, 06:02 AM   #1
Lucille
Dogs: litterbox?

I have finished registering for next semester and I will have two days a week that are going to be long days for me and for my pets: I have to leave at 6AM to get to work and will not get back home from class until 10:15PM.

I was considering hiring someone to come over and let the dogs out, but then I happened to come across a web page detailing how to train dogs to a litter box. I never heard of that.

I suppose you can train dogs to do this, and one would need a larger litterbox than for cats. I am thinking this concept over because I do not know if dogs can understand that it would be OK to go in the litter box but not on the carpet.

What do y'all think of this whole idea?

Old 11-16-2005, 10:00 AM   #2
Cat_72
I've known folks with little bitty dogs (Chihuahuas, Maltese, etc) that have done it, but I don't know how well it would work on a larger dog. There are "Potty Pads" you can buy that are similar to what you would do when "paper training", but are scented to attract the dog and help teach them that they should go there.....I've never used them myself, but I hear they work quite well. If the need arose, I would much rather use those than paper training.....hubby has a habit of laying the newspaper next to his recliner when he's done reading it, lol.

Old 11-16-2005, 02:01 PM   #3
PaulSage
I had met a few customers at the pet store where I worked who had smaller dogs that were trained to use a litter box. Some of them reported that the dogs still "kicked" after doing their business and the litter (that purina stuff) ended up all over the floor.

Potty pads work pretty well it seems, but like what Cat said about the newspaper, it can encourage them to pee on it wherever they find a similar material. Some friends of mine have 3 chihuahuas and a teacup rat terrier (whatever that is... just looks like a chihuahua on stilts if you ask me ) and they trained them to use the potty pads. Unfortunately it also trained them to pee on anything plastic. Grocery bags, garbage bags, anything like that seems to be an acceptable target for them. ...kind of annoying when they just get home from shopping and set the bags down on the floor.

Old 11-16-2005, 02:21 PM   #4
coyote
I know that dogs like to snack from the litter box.

Old 11-16-2005, 09:35 PM   #5
Cat_72
Hehehe, my Crested has been known to indulge in "kitty krunchies" from the litterbox every now and then.

Ew.

Old 11-16-2005, 11:23 PM   #6
SheepyRock
same problem

I too have the same problem with having long days and a dog that cannot hold his bladder for more than 4 hours (he is 14 yrs old, has a severe heart murmur and is on multiple heart medications as well as 2 different diuretics - fortunately he shows very few side effects (amazingly) from his condition and medication and still has an excellent quality of life). Fortunately, I am a veterinary technician(as well as a student) and I can drop my dog off at my work before I go to class and pick him up when I am done (he gets to stay in the receptionist's area and greet people as they come and go).

One thing to consider is a doggy door. If you have a fenced in backyard, dogs that don't try to dig out, dogs that don't bark 24-7, and you have friendly neighbors, a dog door may be the solution. When I am able to purchase a house, that is the first thing I will be buying! The market is pretty good for dog doors - they even have ones that you put a collar on the dog and the door only opens for the dog with the collar on, that way if you have cats they can't just walk out any time they feel like it.

I know several clients at my work who have pet sitters come to their homes daily and walk/let out/play with their dog(s) and even bring them to and from places such as the groomer and our hospital! These clients are also very well off financially and can afford to do this. I think if you can afford a trustworthy pet sitter, that would probably be the ideal thing. But if your budget is like mine, there is no room in it for a pet sitter!

There is also the booming business of doggy daycare. There are many facilities in my city that offer daycare for dogs. Some even pick up your pet and bring them home! These facilities cater to our idea of "doggy fun" by providing swimming pools, playtime with other dogs, "playgrounds" for dogs, or just a nice cool/warm environment (depending on the weather) where your pet can lay on couches and plush pillows and watch TV. These places are also a nice alternative if a person is going to be gone all day and can't get home in a timely manner to let their pet out or if they have a particularly "high energy" pet that becomes bored at home. Again, a nice place for your pet while you are away if you can afford it.

Training your pet(s) to use a litterbox or use wee wee pads after they have been trained to not go in the house can be done, but may be difficult and time consuming. You also have to consider if you want this to be the way for your pet(s) to eliminate (in the house on approved substances or outside). Once your semester is over and you have no need for the litterbox, it may be hard to train your pet(s) to stop going in the house and start going outside again. Probably more time consuming and confusing for your pet(s) than it is worth when there are other alternatives out there that are much more convenient for you and your pet(s)!

I hope this helps and good luck!

Old 11-16-2005, 11:50 PM   #7
South Dixie Dragons
I will never understand why dogs find cat turds so tasty.

One of my Bassets gets busted everytime he goes into my roommates kitty litter box..he comes out with cat litter stuck to his nose..

I know a lot of folks that have trained their SMALL dog to go in a litter box or wee-wee pads..you know they also now have boxes of grass for your patio if you have a porch or balcony where you can train the dog to go out and use.

Old 11-17-2005, 12:48 AM   #8
Matt Haines
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Dixie Dragons
I will never understand why dogs find cat turds so tasty.

One of my Bassets gets busted everytime he goes into my roommates kitty litter box..he comes out with cat litter stuck to his nose..

I know a lot of folks that have trained their SMALL dog to go in a litter box or wee-wee pads..you know they also now have boxes of grass for your patio if you have a porch or balcony where you can train the dog to go out and use.
Same thing with my Shiba. He comes out of the darkened bedroom with the telltale sign of litter attached to his nose.

Old 11-17-2005, 01:00 AM   #9
South Dixie Dragons
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Haines
Same thing with my Shiba. He comes out of the darkened bedroom with the telltale sign of litter attached to his nose.
Right Matt!! and they try to look so slick about it..like they pulled it off with out you finding out!
Everytime I see mine with cat ltter stuck to his nose it just turns my stomach..

Old 11-17-2005, 01:02 AM   #10
Matt Haines
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Dixie Dragons
Right Matt!! and they try to look so slick about it..like they pulled it off with out you finding out!
Everytime I see mine with cat ltter stuck to his nose it just turns my stomach..
Yeah, and my Shiba likes to lick....I just wish I knew why they like the snickers so much.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!