Nat Geo joins the hype - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 09-14-2009, 11:37 AM   #1
ForkedTung
Nat Geo joins the hype

Python "Nightmare": New Giant Species Invading Florida:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...nt-snakes.html

Old 09-14-2009, 01:44 PM   #2
boid99
Enough is enough I'm so over this crap why don't they talk about all the feral cats and dogbites or make their time and our tax dollars useful and solve unemployment and poverty, oh wait thats means our wonderful government wouldn't have control of us.

Old 09-14-2009, 03:13 PM   #3
Herpterra
Someone should really write this Christine Dell'Amore person about how to write a non-biased report without the use of quotes from people that dont really know anything, sad to see a nature based broadcasting/publshing company get paid off to print this crap.....wonder how much they got ?

Anyways, banning these animals from the pet trade doesnt solve anything, banning retards who dont take care of them and know nothing about them solves it all

Old 09-16-2009, 10:16 AM   #4
Tiger Lilly
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForkedTung View Post

Wow...yeah, let's hear it for impartiality in the media...

Old 09-16-2009, 10:17 AM   #5
Tiger Lilly
Wow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForkedTung View Post

yeah, let's hear it for impartiality in the media...

Old 09-16-2009, 12:09 PM   #6
Mister Internet
I've got to say, as these types of things go, this was pretty even-handed... I didn't see the author or her sources calling for the banning of pet pythons, I didn't see biased interviewing of "God 'n' Guns" rednecks who would have made the requisite comments about taking their giant snakes from their cold, dead fingers... and they quoted a senior herpetologist at the institution that's right there in the middle of dealing with this issue.

Yeah, characterizing them as "mean right out of egg" might be seen as inflammatory, but I have to agree... Rocks are the meanest snakes *I've* ever been around (I think Norther Water Snakes are the worst . It it worrisome that these snakes would invade and propogate... Burmese are like giant lazy cats in comparison to these guys...

Just my thoughts, I don't see this as part of the hype machine.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:30 PM   #7
ForkedTung
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Internet View Post
I've got to say, as these types of things go, this was pretty even-handed... I didn't see the author or her sources calling for the banning of pet pythons, I didn't see biased interviewing of "God 'n' Guns" rednecks who would have made the requisite comments about taking their giant snakes from their cold, dead fingers... and they quoted a senior herpetologist at the institution that's right there in the middle of dealing with this issue.

Yeah, characterizing them as "mean right out of egg" might be seen as inflammatory, but I have to agree... Rocks are the meanest snakes *I've* ever been around (I think Norther Water Snakes are the worst . It it worrisome that these snakes would invade and propogate... Burmese are like giant lazy cats in comparison to these guys...

Just my thoughts, I don't see this as part of the hype machine.
I must've read a different article than you?

The subheader reads:
Florida now faces what one scientist calls one of the U.S. state's "worst nightmares."
Florida has quite a few other problem, a bit more serious and grave than the wild pythons. I think the following could 'realistically' be called their "worst nightmares." Read: hurricanes and rampant crime, both of which actually kill people. Not to mention drought, flooding, population expansion, habitat loss, etc... ( not to mention the politics...lol).
How many people have died from these [ following descriptors, (aka hyped up adjectives) found in the article]"dangerous, aggressive, really scary,ferocity,alien, ill-tempered, striking, invasive, munching, devastating, powerful predator, nightmares" have these snakes killed?

Old 09-20-2009, 05:14 PM   #8
Helenthereef
I've lost all respect for Nat Geo. All they want is sensationalism: E channel tabloid shit, not real whats-going-on-in-the-world-around-you stuff.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!