Painting the House... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-06-2010, 12:47 PM   #1
kkreptiles
Painting the House...

So we're trying to move and the realtor told us to paint the inside of the house. I have 40 some odd geckos/animals in my room. I REALLY want to move them to my gmas (Cages would go with them and all except for about 12 of them since they're in a HUGE unit that I'm not willing to trek from my house to my gmas then back. Its just too big. So those 12 would have to be in mini/small/medium Kks or in deli cups) I can do some moving around to get it so only a few are in kks and delis.
Anyway, Matt isn't so keen on moving them since he's worried bout stressing them out too much. We'd have to move them to my gmas for a few days, then back to our house, then when we actually move (moving to Apple Valley) he's worried that they'll be very stressed cause of the elevation change.

Do I need to worry bout the paint fumes hurting them or should I move them as a precaution anyway? I'd be more willing to lose a couple tails then lose a couple lives if that's the case...

Old 12-07-2010, 02:20 AM   #2
AltitudeExotics
I've never encountered a problem like this, but if it were me i'd want to move them out of the house, or at the least to one room thats sealed off until all the paint in the other rooms is dry and no fumes remain, then sealing them in a newly painted room to paint the room they were in before.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:18 AM   #3
ento890
I agree with Brian. The over all move may stress them out a little, but because almost all of them will still be in the same cages, it shouldn't be too bad. If your not keen on moving them to Gma's then seal off another room in the house, it's only for a few days until the paint is dry.

My reptile room is in my basement. I have 3 walls around it, so it's not completely sealed off. My brother welds and spray paints down there and sometimes the fumes make me nauseous. I'll open windows and doors when this happens.

Old 12-07-2010, 04:20 PM   #4
kkreptiles
Good news! We don't have to paint our room. Its just the other rooms in the house

The only problem with moving them to another room is that the owner of the house is TERRIFIED of them (But she LOVES my red tail boa.... Weird lol) so she will not hear of it. Luckily though I don't have to go through any moving with them!

I want to get a rep room... Where I'm at now (renting a room) is good enough at the moment since i get the master bedroom. We'll be moving though up to a 1 or 5 acre lot in the desert and I will get the master there too but what I want to do is build off of my room and make a rep room so I can safely have my cat come in my room and not have to worry
Matt doesn't like the idea of the geckos being outside of our room though so I have some convincing to do It will help with a lot of things if we do move them though.

But thanks for the help guys! At least it lets me know what to do if this happens again and I really do need to paint the room they're in

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!