A little concerned - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-28-2012, 01:33 PM   #11
angie.h
Check your temps. to be sure the basking spot reaches about 100. They actually do darken to absorb heat, different lizard species do this. Stress may also cause it, but you should check your basking spot for temps. Also, some dragons just change from light to dark , it's in their make up. Not really anything to be too worried about.

Old 04-28-2012, 02:48 PM   #12
DragonLover0423
Basking temp is 104.6 checked with an IR temp gun. Cool side is 82.8. I guess it caused so much concern because she only started this darkening behavior about a month ago. I don't believe it is stress(of course she can't talk to tell me lol) because she loves being handled and she is hand fed in and out of her cage.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:21 PM   #13
barbie
I would also watch for her to be digging or running back and forth alot. She could have slugs or a desire to mate at that age. And i would also agree with angie it is in thier makeup to get dark, my male egore is dark most the time and only brightens up during breeding or baths and he is healthy as a horse

Old 04-28-2012, 11:04 PM   #14
DragonLover0423
She does dig an awful lot. She eats well and according to her vet she is a healthy 2 year old dragon.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:26 AM   #15
barbie
Try a lay box. I use a large rubbermaid bin filled with about 1/3 with good top soil from a local supply store or lowes menards ect. Use some warm water and make the dirt to the consistancy of a snow ball (meaning you can squeez the dirt and it will clump up, dont get it runny). If you can cut a hole in the top of the rubbermaid lid and staple some screen on top of the whole for the light, or if you can not just clamp the light on the side and pay close attention she does not escape. If she has slugs she will dig and lay them and she will feel alot better She will not be attached to the eggs in any way so after she has done her business and burys them you can take her out and put her back in the cage and throw away the eggs!! Do not give her a bath for 2 to 3 days because its said the water can get in the vent and cause an infection. I dont know if this is a fact because i have never risked it lol!!

I hope this solves the problem, Good luck!! If you have any questions do not be afraid to ask

Old 04-29-2012, 12:54 PM   #16
juice it
She looks fine to me. Mine change color all the time to suit the mood. Your looks healthy and normal to me. Its not like she is real dark, she is just lighter than most to begin with.

Old 04-29-2012, 01:34 PM   #17
DragonLover0423
Is there any way to feel the slugs or tell if she has them in her? Are unfertilized eggs smaller?

Old 04-29-2012, 03:44 PM   #18
barbie
I usually put mine in a bath and can tell more easily when they flaten out in the water. Take your fingers and run them tip to tip flat evenly down from the chest to the vent, you may or maynot feel anything!! And i would only do a lay box if she is digging constantly/daily!!

Old 04-29-2012, 04:39 PM   #19
DragonLover0423
Thanks Barbie. I am going to do the lay box. Would wet sand work? I use childrens play sand. Also what happens to the unfertile eggs if she doesn't lay them?

Old 04-30-2012, 08:41 AM   #20
barbie
She would need to go to the vet if she does not lay them and becomes lithargic and sick like. It will mean she "egg bound" meaning the eggs have become stuck pretty much. Sand works too I would not recomend it usually but in this case it will be fine. Make the cosistancy like i said above. Did you check her for eggs?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!