cooling & browning??? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-29-2004, 01:00 PM   #1
wdawg
cooling & browning???

Quote:
Originally posted by KelliH
Tremper told me that once his albinos reach a certain age, their color is pretty much "locked in" and they will not darken as much if they are cooled after they reach this age.
Can someone explain to me what "cooled" and "browning"
is? I've heard these terms before but I'm absolutely clueless
about it..

TIA

Old 09-29-2004, 02:35 PM   #2
ragnew
Trempers animals are always pictured as being bright orange, yellow, or even one of the two with large amounts of almost red scattered throughout their bodies. Alot of the time, this isn't going to be the case as the animal matures.

The "Browning" part comes into play with the fact that for some reason this certain blood line tends to turn to a darker looking albino as the animal matures... Alot of the time it's either the pink or the white that turns to a muddy brown color (from what I've seen anyway).

Cooling is when you lower the temperatures that your geckos are accustomed to. This tends to act like a winter cooling period, and thus some breeders do this so that their animals have a better breeding season. As the geckos get colder their colors tend to darken up as well.

Hope this made sense...

Old 09-29-2004, 04:21 PM   #3
wdawg
so does this happen to all morphs or just albinos?

Old 09-29-2004, 05:07 PM   #4
ragnew
It can happen to all morphs to an extent... The actual breeding season can cause a very, very bright colored gecko to darken up a variable extent.

Old 09-29-2004, 06:29 PM   #5
wdawg
thanks I think I get it.

Old 10-01-2004, 11:09 PM   #6
LadyGecko
Muddy Brown?

Hi- I have been reading this thread with much interest as i have a trio of tremper albionos that have not darkened up with age.
The older two m/f are a little over a year old. The second female in the trio is aprox. 9 months old and here are their pics?
At what age do the Leos previously referred to start to darken up?
Just wondering
Sandy

Old 10-02-2004, 01:04 AM   #7
Manhattan Herps
i baught this female a while ago, she was 4 months old when she was purchased

after the thermostat broke the temps went to 79*f for about a month, and this is how she looks now...she's an ugly greyish color which i dont like but..what are you gonna do...

Old 10-02-2004, 01:24 AM   #8
Xelda
Dan - I like her after pic better.

Old 10-02-2004, 01:42 AM   #9
Manhattan Herps
lol everyone says that, it just dissapoints me..i wanted her to stay light..she would've looked so awesome..

Old 10-02-2004, 12:58 PM   #10
wdawg
Quote:
Originally posted by Tokay_Dude
i baught this female a while ago, she was 4 months old when she was purchased.
after the thermostat broke the temps went to 79*f for about a month, and this is how she looks now...she's an ugly greyish color which i dont like but..what are you gonna do...
This is exactly why I'm hesistant on purchasing an albino/tremper.
Like you, I don't appreciate nor like the dark colors.

Thank you for posting..

As of today, I've yet to see one picture of an adult albino tremper staying white. I think Marcia's going to prove me wrong tho

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!