Are Hognoses easy to get sick? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Hognose Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-27-2011, 06:06 PM   #1
wolverine3290
Question Are Hognoses easy to get sick?

I am relatively new with hogs and have had three so far. I mostly work with Ball pythons and was wondering why the hogs seem to have gotten sick so easy. I don't have any problems with my pythons and I keep the hogs with a 90 hot spot and 80ish ambient. Can someone tell me if I'm doing something wrong? The first two I took to the vet and they were loaded with parasites and bad protozoa. They passed while in the care of the vet, much to my dismay.. The third one started to have bloody fecal matter and I had to give her up to someone that said they could get her help. I wanna know if anyone can maybe give me some advice. I personally am taking it on myself to learn more and be confidant in my knowledge before getting more.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:47 PM   #2
JordanAng420
Stupid question...are these hoggies all from the same place, or did you get them from three different places? How long after you had them did they get sick?

Old 01-27-2011, 07:52 PM   #3
wolverine3290
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanAng420 View Post
Stupid question...are these hoggies all from the same place, or did you get them from three different places? How long after you had them did they get sick?
I didn't feel like it was a stupid question!! because they came from very different places and were never in contact. I am not a fool and do not appreciate the false criticism you are displaying. A gain in knowledge is what I seek, not a wise crack.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:58 PM   #4
wolverine3290
One was apparently sick when I got it but was in shed so I was unaware. Picked up at a show in Arlington. It died second and I was told it had pneumonia by the vet.(There was and had been no one around me with pneumonia just to make aware.) The other was a non-feeding baby that I received from a friend in Oklahoma and asked the vet for assistance with and was alerted to the parasites it had. That one died first. The third one I had the longest. An adult female, I bought from a breeder in Waco, and she is alive and doing good now that she has been treated, but I no longer have her because I didn't have the funds to get her what she needed so I gave her up so that she could thrive and live.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:12 PM   #5
JordanAng420
Thanks for the answer...but I meant MY question was stupid (i.e.: I was "stupid" for asking it) as I FIGURED that you had probably gotten them from different places.

I was just wondering. Sorry you misunderstood me. I am seriously trying to help, and I meant no wise cracks.

Maybe if you could go over your set up a little more in detail, that would help?

Old 01-27-2011, 08:27 PM   #6
wolverine3290
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanAng420 View Post
Thanks for the answer...but I meant MY question was stupid (i.e.: I was "stupid" for asking it) as I FIGURED that you had probably gotten them from different places.

I was just wondering. Sorry you misunderstood me. I am seriously trying to help, and I meant no wise cracks.

Maybe if you could go over your set up a little more in detail, that would help?
Ok.. Sorry for the misunderstanding. The set-up I was using is a rack system and I had them on aspen. (Same as I keep my pythons, but made the temperature lower for them.) It really upset me that these things happened. I really liked the hogs and I do want to get more eventually.

Old 01-29-2011, 11:25 PM   #7
lcchavez
Parasites most common in hognose is giardia which is a pathogenic protozoa. Contaminated water is most common way of contracting them. Standing water or soiled water is a common way to contaminate the water. They then ingest the water which carries the protozoa. Bloody runny stool is a common symptom.

On the one with pneumonia, it was more likely caused from too high humidity or aspiration of water. Hognose like it very dry. Make sure you have plenty of ventilating holes to keep it dry.

So you asked if you did something wrong. I have no idea. These are just some of the common ways hognose can get sick.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-30-2011, 12:32 AM   #8
wolverine3290
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcchavez View Post
Parasites most common in hognose is giardia which is a pathogenic protozoa. Contaminated water is most common way of contracting them. Standing water or soiled water is a common way to contaminate the water. They then ingest the water which carries the protozoa. Bloody runny stool is a common symptom.

On the one with pneumonia, it was more likely caused from too high humidity or aspiration of water. Hognose like it very dry. Make sure you have plenty of ventilating holes to keep it dry.

So you asked if you did something wrong. I have no idea. These are just some of the common ways hognose can get sick.

Hope this helps.
Thank you very much Icchavez. Your info was very helpful. I think that in my next attempt at hogs it will come to much use.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!