Help Baby Corn not eating - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-28-2012, 04:06 AM   #1
aambumann
Stop! Help Baby Corn not eating

I have had this baby for a month now and he will not eat F/T pinkies. He has lost 2 grams in weight. I have made sure his temps and enclosure is all proper, I have done many hours of reading and tried all the tricks of the trade. I am waiting for a response from seller, again. Unable to get a live pinkie quickly at the moment, as the local shop who carries them is out, waiting for some to be born. I have read one might try using a small lizard as a feeder item. I was thinking a small anole. Any thoughts or ideas would be a big help. Thanks.

Old 05-28-2012, 01:13 PM   #2
aambumann
Update- I was able to get the corn snake to strike and eat a live green anole. Will continue to try and switch him to F/T pinkies.

Old 05-29-2012, 03:46 PM   #3
hadenglock
that usually what it takes to get some baby corns to eat is a couple feedings of anoles/frogs. Next thing to do is try scenting pinkies with anoles

Old 05-29-2012, 03:50 PM   #4
aambumann
Thanks for responding, I will try that. Sorry for what might seem a silly question, but what is the best way to scent a pinkie with anole?

Old 05-29-2012, 04:27 PM   #5
Helenthereef
Skin te anole and rub the skin on the pinkie, or mince up the anole and roll the pinkie in the mince.

Are you loving your new hobby yet???? :-)

Old 05-29-2012, 04:53 PM   #6
AbsoluteApril
the best trick I used with stubborn baby corns was to place the baby in a very small brown paper bag with a live pinky.

Had you tried live pinks before going from f/t pink to lizards? As stated, you may need to scent now to get the baby to switch to rodents.

Usually once they start feeding on their own, it's never a problem again with corns. The only time I had corns that would not feed after they were established is when they were in blue.
Good luck!

Old 05-29-2012, 05:35 PM   #7
aambumann
Thanks again for the advice. Yes I did try a live pinkie about a month ago after him not eating F/T pinkies., I did not see the snake eat it, but it was gone. I then kept trying F/T pinkies for about 3 weeks , with no luck. My local shop is out of live pinkies at the moment. The snake had lost 2 grams of weight, so I decided to get an anole, quicker than waiting for live pinkies to be shipped or born. I just wanted the little guy to eat something.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:25 PM   #8
legendlime05
the store has some live ones at the moment, so if you wanted to stop by tomorrow and get one.
at least he ate something bud.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:09 PM   #9
aambumann
Update

Baby corn snake ate a live pinkie today after a little bit of agitating the snake with the pinkie.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!