Wild Fiji Boas photos posted - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-20-2008, 08:41 PM   #31
kmurphy
Helen, just curios. Are these boas common in your area?

Old 03-20-2008, 09:25 PM   #32
Helenthereef
Hi Kevin,

Apparantly so, but we don't see them much until people start clearing forest to build stuff - then suddenly they are being found all over the place (usually moving pretty fast as their tree comes down). In some area the locals eat them, in all places they kill them when found - there are superstitions about them. I'm considered a bit suspect for wanting to keep them.

Fiji has nore than 300 islands, so far I know they've been found on all the larger ones.

Old 03-20-2008, 10:13 PM   #33
Helenthereef
Fiji sea snake

I know this isn't really the right place to post this, as this is not a boa, but while we're on the subject of wild snakes in Fiji, here's a shot of the sea snake we see quite a lot on dives. This is the White-lipped Banded Krait, Laticauda colubrina.

We see them underwater a lot, and on land usually at night, when they come up to digest meals, shed, and lay eggs. They also sometimes climb up our outboard engines to bask on the boat when we're out at sea, and this freaks divers out considerably...

They are (extremely) venomous, but small mouthed, back fanged and very docile, having no use for a strike reflex underwater, and having no natural predators. I handle them regularly (and with respect) when encountered. Note the flat tail which is adapted to be used as a paddle underwater.

As I said, no real relevance to a boa group, but I just think they are very beautiful, and hope you enjoy the photo. Can't think of a way to keep them without an olympic sized swiimng pool at my disposal though.....

Helen

Old 03-20-2008, 10:22 PM   #34
crotalusadamanteus
Another cool animal indeed.

The picture don't bother me any at all. LOL But we do have a venomous forum here too. Bet they don't get to see many of these. (hint hint)

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...play.php?f=327

Feel free to share more of your native critters.

Thanks for sharing.
Rick

Old 03-20-2008, 10:47 PM   #35
Helenthereef
I shall seek the venomous forum out and see if they're interested,
cheers,
Helen

Old 03-21-2008, 06:25 PM   #36
Fiji Boa
Fiji Boas rock!

Hi,

Thanks for the great photos of your Fiji Boas. I have two Fiji Boas also. I live in Suva. Send me a message direct and maybe we can meet?

thanks,
Peter

Old 03-22-2008, 06:38 PM   #37
Helenthereef
Boas in Suva

Hi Peter, I've sent you a private message via the site link, your profile doesn't allow emailing. call or email me when you get it.
Maybe it's time for a Suva snake group - I know other keepers here.

Cheers,
Helen

Old 03-22-2008, 06:55 PM   #38
Helenthereef
Final Fiji non-boa snake thang

There is one other peculiar critter here I thought I'd briefly share - this is an as-yet unconfirmed species of blindsnake - they are very small (max 6 inches long) and look very much like earthworms. The are found underground, and eat ants and termites. This is a dead specimen collected for identification purposes. We don't know whether these are very rare or just rarely seen.....

Whole snake, around six inches long

Snake head - eyes reduced to smal black dots under scales

Snake mouth - adapted to eat ants and termites

That's the end of my non-boa section. Thanks for tolerating the deviation from the thread!
Helen

Old 03-25-2008, 05:25 PM   #39
Hattori_pl
I'm curious what specie of gekko do you feed your boas and what are the most common lizards on Fiji (and on Solomon Islands if you know)????

Old 03-25-2008, 08:23 PM   #40
geckogrl6
Just wondering if there'd be any grant $ available for your attempted breeding- might be worth looking into, good luck!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!