Patience is a virtue... - Page 10 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-03-2010, 02:48 PM   #91
AbsoluteApril
Thanks again for the well wishes! Helen, I understand what you are saying about the temps. As soon as I get home from work today, I'm going to soak her for a couple hours and then give the enima a shot and hope for the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalusadamanteus View Post
Was it a heavy enough gauge of a tub to resist bending or kinking when inserted? If so, you may be able to work it past the slug, as inside there will be more flexibility in the walls then at her cloaca.
Yes, the gauge is pretty sturdy, I'm deff. going to try to see if I can get it past the slug as that should hopefully help things move around in there.

Quote:
I don't know how you are keeping such a level head. I'd be freaking out, and putting myself in debt again.
Honestly, trying to be unemotional and objective about this situation is the only thing that's helping me keep calm. Inside I am freaking out. I'm in a debt repayment program (just a little over a year to go and I'll be debt free!) so I'm not allowed to use any of my cards or open any new lines of credit or loans, believe me, I would have already done it if I could. I have another sick boa (unrelated to this situation) that I just spent over $500 on over the last 2 months and that wiped me out. The vet yesterday was my last $250 from savings. I'll still find out how much the surgery is if that's what it comes to and try to make it work. I do have a snake or two that I could sell but I'm keeping my collection closed until I know what's going on with that other sick boa. urghh. What it rains it pours.
*edit - sounds like I'm whining or asking for charity, sorry that wasn't my intent, just trying to explain the situation.

I'm trying to stay positive though! Got my fingers crossed for a good outcome tonight.

Old 08-03-2010, 02:54 PM   #92
Utta
Could you possibly use a syringe and go threw the belly scale to suck some of the slug out and make it smaller?

Old 08-03-2010, 03:29 PM   #93
AbsoluteApril
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utta View Post
Could you possibly use a syringe and go threw the belly scale to suck some of the slug out and make it smaller?
Not sure, that was actually one of my ideas too but the vet wants the xrays reviewed to make 100% sure that's a slug we're seeing in there before he tries anything more drastic.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:39 PM   #94
Utta
ok. gotchya

Old 08-03-2010, 06:27 PM   #95
crotalusadamanteus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utta View Post
It would take a really big needle for one. Slugs are solid, not liquid, but they are a bit squishy when still wet, so a large enough needle might draw some up. Also would require ultrasound to make sure you are hitting the slug, plus the snake would have to be put under anesthesia for it.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:15 PM   #96
Utta
Quote:
It would take a really big needle for one. Slugs are solid, not liquid, but they are a bit squishy when still wet, so a large enough needle might draw some up. Also would require ultrasound to make sure you are hitting the slug, plus the snake would have to be put under anesthesia for it.

I still think it would be cheaper then surgery. Wouldn't it?

Old 08-03-2010, 07:33 PM   #97
crotalusadamanteus
Most likely yes. But anesthesia ain't usually cheap either. Some real knowledge involved with using them on reptiles.

I'm fortunate to know my vet well, and when I have a costly procedure that needs doing, he often lets me assist to keep the cost down. A temporary tech, I guess you could say. LOL

Old 08-03-2010, 10:13 PM   #98
Helenthereef
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenthereef View Post

I'm posting as link to this thread in the veterinary forum in case any vets drop by and comment.
I did that:
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...=1#post1030632

So far one response as below, maybe it will help a bit:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

If the vet didn't suggest it you may want to use some sort of lubricant 'internally' when you are trying to manuever things. (not vaseline based stuff) but surgilube, and nonscented or gussied up sexual pleasure lubs (sorry but don't know what else to call em) and even something like olive oil or vegetable oil.

I'd try and get a small medication dropper or syringe to insert into the cloaca and instill the oils as well as the enema (is it a mineral oil enema?) It should help things move up or backwards a bit more and then eventually when she can pass the slug forward...

I wish the best for you and your boa....this has got to be tough!

Susan

Old 08-03-2010, 11:50 PM   #99
AbsoluteApril
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenthereef View Post
Thanks for doing that! I took Susan's advice and will go over there to say thanks in a moment. Vegas had a nice 2 hr soak, she passed some urates and I just gave her the enema, she got 40cc luke warm water; also put 1 unit(cc) of olive oil right at the cloaca. Putting her in the pillow case worked great, she wasn't trying to bite, just nudging around trying to find a way to get me, so we both came out without a scratch. She's in a temp tub right now, I'm sure the enema will be coming back out, hopefully some of the other stuff too. Then she'll go back into her cage for the night and we'll go from there.
fingers crossed!

Old 08-03-2010, 11:54 PM   #100
Utta
With the urates, did she fart aswell? Get some of that gas buildup out?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!