Georgia state law issues - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > USA State Specific Issues

Notices

USA State Specific Issues Issues that are specific to a particular state, or subregion within a state, should be appended to the existing relevant thread. NEW threads cannot be created in this forum.

Old 01-22-2004, 08:58 AM   #21
BWSmith
In the state of Georgia you can get an Exhibition Permit. This allows you posess 2 of each native nonvenomous species (nonprotected of course). These animals are to be used for Eduational purposes and you are required to document 12 hours of education each year. The permit runs about $45 I think. You can contact the Scott Frazier at theSpecial Permit Unit of DNR for the paperwork. Upon preliminary approval, a local DNR Biologist will come out to inspect your place.

It was not difficult to get ther permit and Scot is a very nice guy. In fact John Jensen from DNR Nongame Wildlife Division has been pushing for several years to change that law. We are making progress.

So for the time being, a permit is the way to go. Although it won't do you much good if your goal is a cornsnake breeding project or the like.

Old 01-22-2004, 10:12 AM   #22
tdeppen
yes you can get a permit, but you should be able to keep corn snakes with out one. even if the law were just re-worded so the wild snakes can not be harmed or captured would be great olny let collectors have morphs or have prof that they were CB. i just think it is stupid that they alow you to keep, breed, or kill the native hot snake, but you cant keep a corn, yellow rat , or even a bubble gum rat because it is a hybred. it should be the other way around, you should not be able to keep the hot snakes, last time i checked more red necks died of rattle snake bites than rat snake bites. and people kill any snake that they see doesnt matter if it is a little ribbon snake or a 7 foot rattler, and the law says that if you kill or capture a native snake that is not hot that is a $1,000 fine and up to 1 year in jail, for a corn snake. cant even have the green anols for food for kings.

Old 01-22-2004, 10:22 AM   #23
BWSmith
Like I said, they are trying to change the laws and I have been asked to come speak during the hearing. We are at least trying to allow morphs. I could get into why native hots are allowed, but I don't feel like typing that much

Old 01-22-2004, 02:01 PM   #24
JohnHarper
The reptile laws in Ga

I am in the process of brain storming ideas to be considered in the petition and the corn snake issue is a major one also
there should be captive breeding programs to release the endangered species of reptiles back in the wild like the alligator snapper turtles for example and gopher tortoise. i also would like to see rattlsnake round ups banned cuz it not only affects them but the animals that share the burrows. i also found an online free petition website. the petition will be posted there once its finalized as well as emailed to people who want to help with it.
the north west ga herpetolical society will be having there first meeting next weekend. i do not know the dates and time yet but I am trying to contact everyone and see what would be best for them.

for more info
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NorthW...olgicalSociety

Old 01-24-2004, 09:55 AM   #25
JohnHarper
if you email me I can give you some info about the reptile laws

cute looks like a mountain lion am I right?

I have some paper work on the last time the dnr tried to meet abd review the reptile laws also what they tried to change.
what part of Ga are you in? seems like I saw that snake at the Daytona reptile show in 2003. if your in North West Ga would you be interested in joing a free herp society.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NorthW...olgicalSociety

we also brainstorming for a petition to change the laws so we can have corn snakes here.

email me at electricbluescat@earthlinknet

Old 01-24-2004, 10:03 AM   #26
JohnHarper
Thumbs up any help would greatly be appreciated

do you know PJACs website? also do you know alot of snake keepers in GA?

Old 01-24-2004, 10:29 AM   #27
MystycalJywyl
Carcal baby actually (not mountain lion but easily confused as kits) I am just south of Atlanta actually. I have seriously been considering getting a breeding trio of Striped possums and a pair of Genet Cats but I can't get DNR to reply to my messages! Thanks for your info! Please let me know if you get any new info (if you have the time.)

Thanks,
Mystycal Jywyl
Attached Images

Old 01-26-2004, 01:26 AM   #28
JohnHarper
Thumbs up I agree

I have started a herp society in our area north west ga.

here is my link http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NorthW...olgicalSociety
also heres another one www.nosnakeban.org

who is Rick? I wrote to the congress man in our district.

our first meeting will be next sunday. how are far are you from douglasville? also we are brain storming for the corn snake petition, once one is finalized then it will be sent to people who want to help. i know some ppl who wouldnt move to ga once they found out about the corn snake dilema

do you think we could get it changed?

Old 01-26-2004, 03:25 AM   #29
dvf1973
oops

I meant rich, sorry, I will go check out your sites, I know of a few people interested, traveling may be a bit much though

Old 01-26-2004, 03:57 AM   #30
dvf1973
oops

I meant rich, sorry, I will go check out your sites, I know of a few people interested, traveling may be a bit much though

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!