V. Melinus or V. Dumerilii - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-31-2014, 11:31 PM   #1
Dracosaurus
V. Melinus or V. Dumerilii

I am trying to decide between these two lizards. They are my favorite in appearance and around the size I want (3-4ft). This would be my second monitor my first being a Timor and have owned beardies, corn snakes, balls, and different geckos. I want something more active and interactive. I have seen tame animals of each species but what I want to know is which one is more inclined to be tame. I am open to suggestions of other species of monitor if u feel these are not good animals for what I want (not ackies though). I am also wondering if a 7*3*5 is large enough but I can go taller. I am open to all input.

Old 09-08-2014, 02:42 PM   #2
CalebJenkins
I have worked with both, the Dumeril monitor was in a pet store and I have a melinus. My melinus is really active and is beginning to settle in and be pretty personable. "She" will eat of tongs but is flightly and will run if startled . the Dumeril at the store would tail whip but never offered to bite but after I worked with him he would hang out with me while I worked and would protect us by tail whipping people who got too close to us.

Old 10-12-2014, 09:52 PM   #3
Quantum Varanics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracosaurus View Post
I am trying to decide between these two lizards. They are my favorite in appearance and around the size I want (3-4ft). This would be my second monitor my first being a Timor and have owned beardies, corn snakes, balls, and different geckos. I want something more active and interactive. I have seen tame animals of each species but what I want to know is which one is more inclined to be tame. I am open to suggestions of other species of monitor if u feel these are not good animals for what I want (not ackies though). I am also wondering if a 7*3*5 is large enough but I can go taller. I am open to all input.
If you are planning to acquire youngsters and have no intention of breeding either species in the future, I suggest the Dumeril's Monitor - USCB specimens are not nearly as uncommon as those of V. melinus. Your enclosure dimensions as described should be adequate provided the space is usable. Make certain that your housing provides deep substrate that holds form for burrows, maintains high humidity, and allows for a range of temperatures (including 130°F plus basking areas that are necessary for optimal health.) I like to do what I call "cage packing" - grapewood driftwood, large cork flats, and cork tubes quite literally fill most of the cage above the substrate. This is extremely helpful for providing a temperature gradient and security for Varanids (most notably many notoriously "flighty" species), and almost counter-intuitively makes for a more outgoing captive. Best of wishes to you and your future acquisition!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!