Bite put me in the ER - Questions - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-19-2005, 12:39 PM   #21
TrpnBils
Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalusadamanteus
BTW.......Did that prehensile tailed skink get a good latch on you? LOL I got bit by one a few years back. He got my pinky while changing water. He lunged from under his hide so quick, I could not even react. Jaws like a freakin pit bull. He held on for like 5 minutes, just crushing, and chomping, then a good shake, and when the skin peeled off, he was happy and let go. Actually the worst lizard bite I've ever had. Hurt like the dickens.

Ciao,
Rick
well, it surprised me more than anything. It was during one of our reptile shows, and for those of you not familiar with the species, let me point something out. They have long nails that are VERY sharp, and they're pretty strong. They tend to want to climb, so if you try to hold them in your hand you've got two options: LET them climb, or get ripped up by the nails. What I usually did was let them climb up to around my shoulder and then move them back to my hand to start all over again while I was talking. We have 4 that we use for shows (only one at a time though), and none of them have a particularly bad temper once they're out of the exhibit (and even while they're in, only one is aggressive sometimes). This day though, when I reached up to take him off of my upper arm, I must have spooked him because he bit my ear...lol. I'm glad he didn't hang on, and it didn't hurt at all actually which surprised me - just bled a little bit and then was itchy a couple of days later like most cuts are.

Also, Coyote, I think I posted it earlier in this thread, but I found some info about the relationship between the two families of lizards and you're right...they're distantly related, but not the same anymore.

Old 11-19-2005, 12:46 PM   #22
TrpnBils
Quote:
Originally Posted by YJHB
Oh, for god's sake this started off as an old thread...
lol..yeah this was an old one. I got rid of the monitor about a week after this all happened. And I see you're from Wexford - do you know Brad McCarthy of Butler? He's pretty well-known around the area from what I understand because he sells a lot of hots. I'm from Kittanning originally, and a couple of people mentioned his name to me, so he ended up taking the monitor and I got a 4 year old female BCI off of him.

Old 11-19-2005, 02:23 PM   #23
YJHB
aw, no I don't! Don't know much of anyone around here that shares my interest in herps..

EXCEPT Stef, who I met right here in Fauna just a few weeks ago!!!

Old 11-19-2005, 02:37 PM   #24
coyote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Haines
As far as I know Pogonas are considered Agamidae.
Yes, this is my understanding. Has been my understanding. The article says that Bearded Dragons are Iguania.

Agamids are Old World lizards and Iguanids are New World lizards.
Agamids fill the same niches in the Old World as Iguanids fill in the New World. So I figure the families must have branched off from each other a long time ago and Agamid lizards taxanomically aren't Iguania. So either I need to brush up on my taxonomy or this statement is incorrect.

The only reason I bring it up is because I have a tendency to nitpick (read: be anal about) certain details. And, I like to be correct. So, I am hoping that if my understanding is deficient someone who knows can correct it for me.

Old 10-21-2007, 03:09 PM   #25
dragonss
well I don't own large repts but i do know that savs have bacteria in there mouths just like komodo dragons just you won't die if the small savs bites you.. If it was me i take my sav into the vet (if you have one or even ur zoo could help) have them swab the savs mouth... Test the sample you just might had a lerject reaction to it's self defence spit like a cat scratch it could get infected, but also remember the savs are wild rept and in adaptation through species thy have nasty saliva. i hope that help good luck

Old 10-21-2007, 07:55 PM   #26
varnyard
Not only these few lizards, but anoles, and all snakes. That is the claim they are making. I have read in one of the journals that all snakes have venom, don't ask me what journal, I have since looked and cannot find the statment again in them.

Old 11-01-2007, 10:58 AM   #27
Valley Dragons
Does anyone else think this sounds like an episode of "House", lol?

Jamie

Old 11-01-2007, 11:49 PM   #28
snake5007
Wow! Interesting thread. I'm gonna have to say "you learn something new everyday" again.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:05 AM   #29
RowingMunkeyCU
Gah! Old thread...

Old 11-02-2007, 09:48 AM   #30
hhmoore
The fact that it is an old thread doesn't mean that some people might not find it interesting...the comments would seem to indicate they do.
Thanks for doing your part to keep it on top, Dustin

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!