how can i help my boa - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-13-2005, 02:53 AM   #11
hhmoore
the caseation from mouthrot will be usually be offwhite-grey, cottage cheese looking stuff(not exactly, but that is the best description I can come up with at the moment). it will be found in an open sore(s) along the gumline or on the roof of the mouth. If you are pulling anything else out, it may be from another source. "Snot looking stuff" can come in any number of colors and consistencies - I know because that's what I do, lol - so without seeing it, or getting a little more accurate description, it is hard to say what you're looking at

Old 11-13-2005, 03:09 AM   #12
monitorman85
do you know where i can get some pics of moutrot.you think it could be a RI cuz i didnt see any sores in his mouth realy from what i can see.but the vet did say he had mouthrot.if you got some pics or know of a place let me know cuz i would like to see some.thanks again for the help.

Old 11-13-2005, 05:17 AM   #13
hhmoore
Did the vet show you what you were supposed to be doing, or just tell you to rinse the mouth with that stuff? When treating mouthrot - you gently open the mouth; with a swab, remove any caseous matter (the cottage cheese looking stuff); then swab or irrigate the affected area with cleaning agent/disinfectant/antibiotic. in its early stages, it can present as a marked reddening along the tooth/gumline (not really "mouthrot" yet). as it progresses, the caseous matter forms. when this stuff is swabbed out, an open area is revealed/left. be careful that you do not let either the stuff you swab out of the mouth or the cleaning agent get into the airway (or throat). if left unchecked, it can affect the bone structure of the mouth/jaw - in which case the animal is in a world of trouble. for more information, simply do a google search of mouth rot..you might get better results using the more technical term: infectious stomatitis.

Old 11-13-2005, 12:07 PM   #14
Junkyard
Hey Steven, why have you not responded to the BOI thread about you? Is this the Boa in question that was sent you in a trade for a misrepresented Granite Ball Python? Link to thread about you is here:

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...ad.php?t=73371

Old 11-13-2005, 12:59 PM   #15
The BoidSmith
Steven,

What I would suggest is for you to have custom cut 2’ PVC tube of slightly greater diameter than the thickets part of your boa. Insert her head in the tube and let her progress by pushing her until the head sticks on the other side. Grab the neck with one hand and hold the tube between your legs. Use a pencil to gently open her mouth and leave the pencil while holding head and pencil with one hand. Have everything handy (ear cotton swabs), solution, etc. to work with your free hand. Remove any cheese-like tissue with the swab and then apply the solution. Hydrogen peroxide also works well as a cleansing solution. Increase the temperature of the enclosure.

Old 11-13-2005, 01:15 PM   #16
monitorman85
thanks for the the help i will try that.the whole thing about mike leonards thread i tried putting my imput but it said i didnt have access to that area so i thought i would try this and just get some ideas on what else i can do to help the boa.i guess he took it upon his self to just stop emailing me.he said he had pics of the dead ball but he didnt send them.i shipped first so he could see if he liked her and if she was a granite he could of sent her back and i would of been fine with that but he was happy with her.i just wish he could of told me that the boa was sick cuz you could tell so easy.

Old 11-13-2005, 01:30 PM   #17
The BoidSmith
Quote:
thanks for the the help i will try that.the whole thing about mike leonards thread i tried putting my imput but it said i didnt have access to that area so i thought i would try this and just get some ideas on what else i can do to help the boa.i guess he took it upon his self to just stop emailing me.he said he had pics of the dead ball but he didnt send them.i shipped first so he could see if he liked her and if she was a granite he could of sent her back and i would of been fine with that but he was happy with her.i just wish he could of told me that the boa was sick cuz you could tell so easy.
Steven,

Any comments I’m making are for the sake of the boa’s health. I personally do not condone what you did as far as not providing the right information on your python and going against federal laws by shipping USPS. One way or the other if you received this snake on Wednesday the condition was more than likely already present as mouth rot will not develop in just 3 days. On the ball python issue I do believe there was something wrong with that animal. It’s just very difficult to “kill” a ball python in 4 days even under the worst management conditions.

Old 11-13-2005, 03:03 PM   #18
monitorman85
i agree with you on the shipping and death of the ball.i got an account on dhl now so i dont have to worry about shipping anymore.when i had the ball she was in perfect health and he said she ws fine.its just that the first day i got the boa and told him he had mouthrot he sent me an email that said he was fine when he had him and that the ball died that morninig.i just whish that he could pay the vet bill sense he sent me a sick snake.if he would of took the ball to the vet and something was wrong with it i would have gave him some money for that just cuz it would be my fault.but my goal now is to give the boa the best home and husbandry possible to make him nice and healthy again.

Old 11-13-2005, 04:43 PM   #19
Junkyard
Steven, it seems you need to be calling this whole situation a draw. According to Michael you were not home to receive the boa when it arrived and they had to deliver a day later. As with most sellers this would than void any guarantee to the health of the animal, you have to pay the bills.

Old 11-13-2005, 04:50 PM   #20
monitorman85
no i was home the dhl place called me and they said that they couldnt find my house and that they would have to come back.i called them to see when they were coming and they said that they would have to wait till tomarrow.im not going to even try to get anything from mike cuz im sure is other boas have the same thng.he said that there was another boa in with the one he gave me so i told him to get them checked to be safe and all he did was be a jerk and say "im done with this deal and im not going to answer any more of your emails".so i would say thats the end of that i just wont be doing any more business with him in the future.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!