PC died...... - Page 6 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 12-20-2008, 04:23 PM   #51
Southern Wolf
The PC was working with the mouse originally then it quit..... and she bought another USB Optical mouse and plugged it into the same port... it was a mouse that went bad.

Old 12-20-2008, 04:25 PM   #52
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Wolf View Post
The PC was working with the mouse originally then it quit..... and she bought another USB Optical mouse and plugged it into the same port... it was a mouse that went bad.
Yep. that happens really often.

Old 12-20-2008, 04:42 PM   #53
WebSlave
Speaking of weird darn problems. A while back I started having my system acting really strange. I would be working on something and suddenly the screen would start jumping and flashing. Happened intermittently, but I had no idea what was causing it. I thought a virus had snuck in, so I ran a virus check (even though I have one checking everything incoming and outgoing), but nothing. This went on for about a week or more and I'm beginning to get pretty frazzled about it. Bad video card? So when it happened again, I just sat back and LOOKED at what was going on. It appeared that the open window was quickly alternating between being full sized and a reduced window. Hmm, now what the heck would cause that? I believe there is a keystroke that will do it, but darn if I could remember which one, but the thought that maybe my keyboard was going haywire might be the culprit. So I started looking around for another keyboard to try. Ah, there's one. Oh, that's the wireless one I USED to have on this system, under all those books.... Uh... Duh... I never took off the USB dongle, and apparently the keyboard was still active. Yes, Windows WILL recognize not only multiple keyboards, but multiple mice as well.

Anyway, what apparently happened is that I must have been moving some stuff around, and laid some boxes on top of that wireless keyboard. They weren't heavy enough to fully depress the keys, and must have been just heavy enough to intermittently trigger whatever keystroke it is that tells windows to change from reduced window size to full size and back again.

Man, talk about almost being driven insane!

Anyway, so far so good with my newer computer. Still running OK after about 5 hours or so after removing the sound card. Now if Newegg will only let me return that sucker. I ordered it on the 19th of November, tried to do their automated RMA form on their site, but it got kicked out saying it was more then 30 days so no refund allowed. Thing is, I haven't HAD it for 30 days. I only installed it recently when my computer got back from the shop again. I sent them an email explaining the situation so we'll see what happens. Guess I need to check to see if my onboard speaker ports all work, or else maybe consider getting an older sound card with more mature drivers.

Oh yeah, if this turns out to be the problem, I've got a whole lot of crow to eat because of all the nasty grams I sent out late last night to Velocity Micro.....

Old 12-20-2008, 04:54 PM   #54
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
Anyway, so far so good with my newer computer. Still running OK after about 5 hours or so after removing the sound card. Now if Newegg will only let me return that sucker. I ordered it on the 19th of November, tried to do their automated RMA form on their site, but it got kicked out saying it was more then 30 days so no refund allowed. Thing is, I haven't HAD it for 30 days. I only installed it recently when my computer got back from the shop again. I sent them an email explaining the situation so we'll see what happens. Guess I need to check to see if my onboard speaker ports all work, or else maybe consider getting an older sound card with more mature drivers.

Oh yeah, if this turns out to be the problem, I've got a whole lot of crow to eat because of all the nasty grams I sent out late last night to Velocity Micro.....

Remember what I said about Murphy's Law?

Right after posting the above message, I went and printed out an Excel sheet so I could do an inventory or my remaining animals, and right after that, this error message pops up:

Quote:
RAID Access Failure
Access failure; Critical error on
disk WDC WD1500ADFD-00NLR0 (port: SATA 0.1)
Dammit.......... Where's my 50 caliber........

Oh yeah, I'm on my old computer again right now..........

Old 12-20-2008, 05:00 PM   #55
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Oh yeah, I'm on my old computer again right now..........
LOL sheesh rich.... That just sucks.

Sounds kinda like me.... Weird crap, or things that just shouldnt happen always happens to me and my computers * not lately... but lets not jinx it...*

Another reason why, when i decide to upgrade my PC... Im going with A few extra HD's than i really need. and RAID.....

Old 12-20-2008, 06:22 PM   #56
WebSlave
I was thinking about all this while doing inventory. I'm going to just reseat all cables to see if maybe something shook loose in the box since it has been shipped back and forth to me so many times. Seems kind of odd that it ran so long today after I removed the sound card. Kind of makes me think maybe I moved a cable during the process that might be loose.......

Hey, what do I have to lose at this point?

Old 12-20-2008, 07:53 PM   #57
HappyHillbilly
Rich,
I suggest reseating the cables & the RAM, too. Also check your cables for bad spots, kinks, etc, and make sure they're not touching anything that gets hot like a heat sink, or anything that could cause crosstalk, like a fan or another cable.

Reseating cables & RAM are the most viable of that group of suggestions. The rest, well......, doesn't hurt to look at while you're there.

Have you ran your RAID software's diagnostics?

A few other possibilities are to check your Power Options in the control panel and make sure your hard drives are set to always stay on and not set for any kind of sleep mode.

You can also try disabling NCQ if it's on.

There are several other options, things you can try, before you run WD's diagnostics on the drive. Check out this discussion: http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion...hp?t27459.html

Best wishes!
Mike

Old 12-20-2008, 08:27 PM   #58
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHillbilly View Post
Rich,
I suggest reseating the cables & the RAM, too. Also check your cables for bad spots, kinks, etc, and make sure they're not touching anything that gets hot like a heat sink, or anything that could cause crosstalk, like a fan or another cable.

Reseating cables & RAM are the most viable of that group of suggestions. The rest, well......, doesn't hurt to look at while you're there.

Have you ran your RAID software's diagnostics?

A few other possibilities are to check your Power Options in the control panel and make sure your hard drives are set to always stay on and not set for any kind of sleep mode.

You can also try disabling NCQ if it's on.

There are several other options, things you can try, before you run WD's diagnostics on the drive. Check out this discussion: http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion...hp?t27459.html

Best wishes!
Mike
I've reseated the cables and memory. Nothing really looked out of whack. I found that NCQ setting and it was enabled, so I disabled it. There were three options in Device Manager I had to do that for.

I'll reboot this and see if it stays running for me.

Thanks for the tips.

Old 12-21-2008, 02:58 PM   #59
WebSlave
Well, let's see if I can get Murphy's attention...

Ahem..... So far since I reseated the cables and made some settings changes, my system has been running without a hitch.......

Ok Murphy, do your thing now..........

Old 12-21-2008, 03:29 PM   #60
HappyHillbilly
Quote:
Ok Murphy, do your thing now..........
Ha! Ha! Now, you know that he usually waits until your confidence gets built up a lil' before he does his thing.

That's why I finally decided to move from FL to my current location (Murphy, NC) 15 yrs ago. Can't beat 'em, join 'em.

With 10,000 RPM drives in RAID 0 you shouldn't notice much, if any, speed loss by having disabled NCQ. If it stays up & runnin' and you feel froggy, you can always enable it again and see what happens.

Hopefully you've got it licked now.

Hang in there, Lucky!
Mike

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!