Another Newbie with Temp and Light concerns. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-30-2007, 11:27 AM   #1
jcvelez
Another Newbie with Temp and Light concerns.

My friend and I purchased a pair of beautiful beardies, yearlings. They are both temporarily in a 40Brd tank.

I'm concerned about the lighting and heating!

If you look and the pictures you can see that I have both a basking lamp (Zoo Med; UVA) 75w and a Heat Glo also at 75w. I have placed a thermometer at both ends of the aquarium. The one at the warm end reads 87-88.

Since they are on the piece of wood under the lamps is that okay for temperature requirements?

I'm confused with the UVA/UVB light requirements. I know they are required for proper calcium and vitamin metabolism, but I've read on previous threads that the UVB is harmful to their eyes.

Is that due to the type of bulb???? Could use your expertise!

I've included a picture.

PS the male is eating alot more than the female.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:36 AM   #2
melindaste
I do not see the pic. They need the uva uvb . As far as I know it is not damaging to their eyes but If someone else knows something please jump in. Maybe put sand on top of the wood, sand retains heat, that will help get the temps up. Be carefull housing them together if the female is not eating as much it could be because she is stressed and he in not letting her eat. Make sure he is not bullying her.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:57 AM   #3
jcvelez
I'm having issues with my pics, they are just to big to upload. I will send shortly!

Thanks

Old 07-30-2007, 02:15 PM   #4
Drache613
Hello

Hello,
Ok, what type of lights do you have? You need a UVA & a UVB light.
Most lights just give off UVA not UVB. The zoomed Heat Glo is not a UVB, but just gives out UVA. So, you will need a zoomed reptisun if you are going to stay with that brand, no problems there. Try getting a zoomed reptisun 10 which is the best flourescent out on the market right now.
Combine the reptisun 10 with the Heat glo. That will be full spectrum lighting. However, you mentioned it was only getting 88 or so? That isn't warm enough.
What type of thermometer are you using? We recommend using a digital probe or a temp gun. If you are using a stick on type of thermometer, that will only measure the ambient temps, not the basking spot. You need a specific "hot basking spot" & a specific "cooler are". The basking spot needs to be from 95-110 for babies, & you can lower that to 95-105 for adults. The cool side needs to be roughly 78-82. If the Heat glo is not putting out enough heat, being a 75 watt, it may not, just use a 100 watt bright halogen bulb or a daytime household lightbulb. They need bright white light.
You will need to supplement them with calcium with D3 around 3 times weekly to help keep their bones strong. Either dust the feeders or sprinkle it on their greens & veggies.
If you have a male & a female housed together, you need to separate them before they breed too young. Then, you will have some health issues on your hands with the female becoming gravid too early. That can disrupt her bones & calcium stores with her not being quite full grown & mature enough to be carrying fertile eggs.
I hope this helps out some. :-))

Tracie

Old 08-02-2007, 11:55 AM   #5
jcvelez
More questions.

I bought a ZooMed 150w basking bulb. The temperatures are good now. However, I still have some bulb and UVB/UVA ray questions?

The sales person at the shoppe told me that this 150w Basking Lamp emitted both UVB and UVA rays because it was a full spectrum bulb. Is this true?

If so, then do I need to purchase a separate UVB bulb??????

HELP!

jc

Old 08-24-2007, 06:42 PM   #6
Norbert The Beardie
Well, first off beardies should never be housed together, so I'd recommend separating them as soon as possible.

But you really don't need any specialty lights, except for a UVB.

What I have is a regular, Halogen bulb, for a heat light, and it does swimmingly..

You definitely need a UVB, and it's a strip light, you'd need a fluorescent bulb fixture for it.

UVB emits rays that Dragons need to digest their food properly, and without it, they might get sick, or not eat that often.

How much do you feed them both each day?

Old 08-29-2007, 07:25 PM   #7
dragonss
hello first of all to say most pet shop are really Dumb, when it comes to there info on lizards.... Iam using 150w zoomed light during the day on one side of my dragons cage and runs about 100 to 110, on the other side he had a zoomed heater that as uva (the sun raise that help dragons grow) it's a 60w i leave in Oregon in the mountain so at night drop well below dragons comfy zones and his doing just find. If you are not sure about ur lighting watch ur dragons they will tell you, u just have to watch if you have two dragons in a cage and one not getting enough food maybe get a bigger cage males like space if they feel threaten by the female he might over dominate her and keep her from food.. All els fells feed them in different beans
Also what i like to do with my beardie i take him out in the early morning sun or right before the sun set and let him sit on my lap or hand in the sun he flattings his belly to the sun and he seems to like it allot...( keep in eye on ur dragon if this sounds like something u want to do and if you can't handle two at a time then just one at a time hope this gives you a good ideal of what ur looking for

Old 08-30-2007, 10:56 AM   #8
collisonzoo
The Zoo Med basking bulbs do not emit UVB, so unfortunately you still need to purchase a UVB bulb. The most common are the flourescent, but they also make a compact fluorescent UVB bulb that fits in a regular incandescent fixture. The Zoo Med ReptiSun are, in my opinion, the best out there. If it doesn't say UVB on the package, it's not UVB. Also, the UVB will not harm their eyes. I've heard that before, too, but it is not true. I hope that helps.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!