Which boa constrictors have the best personality? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-18-2018, 12:55 PM   #1
JBC86
Which boa constrictors have the best personality?

I’m thinking about a boa constrictor. Are there subspecies or localities that have a reputation for being especially tolerant of handling, docile, less apt to bite, etc.?

I know there are BCIs and BCCs and BCLs, and Colombia and Nicaragua and Suriname localities, but I don’t really know what the practical differences are.

Can you recommend an up to date guide online that summarizes the various boas and their characteristics?

Thanks

Old 03-18-2018, 02:16 PM   #2
bcr229
In general the dwarf boa localities are known for being flightier or nippier than their larger cousins, especially as youngsters, though even my adult Tarahumaras will still take a swipe at me if I startle them. I think it's because the smaller snakes are prey for larger predators for a longer period of their lives (or all their lives), and as a result they are more likely to remain defensive than the ones that grow larger.

Old 03-18-2018, 05:44 PM   #3
richardhind1972
My bcl pair are really nice and chilled, the female loves her food and would eat every day I think. But both are really chilled, there two years old in April and are getting some amazing colours on them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 03-18-2018, 06:15 PM   #4
Randall Turner
You are likely to find irritable defensive examples in any locality and low key very handleable examples as well. What I suggest is figure out what boa type (either locality or morph or???) interests you and from that point try to find one that has a good temperament.

Old 03-18-2018, 10:14 PM   #5
JCCS
I'm with Randy on this one. I did find Hog Islands to generally be pretty relaxed or at least the ones that I had. Also, you can't go wrong with a good old fashioned Colombian. Many of them have been CBB for multiple generations and are generally very relaxed with people. Just like people though, there are going to be cool ones and there will be jerks in any population.

Old 03-19-2018, 12:26 PM   #6
thesarge2014
I agree with the others. Usually a BCI commonly known as a Colombian boa can be trustworthy and docile to handle if raised and handled properly. The colorful morphs available in BCI morphs today are almost endless and Randall Turner gave excellent advice in finding a boa that interests you and then find one with a good temperament.

The BCC True Redtail boas grow larger than the BCI and are said to be more high strung. I have both Suriname and Peru Bcc boas and mine are very tame and easy to handle. I also have several BCI Hog Island boas and some of the BCI jungle bo morphs all of which are calm snakes.

I have kept boas and pythons all my life including carpet and reticulated pythons which can also be tame or "not so tame". What I can say from my experience is a calm baby of any species usually grows into an even calmer adult snake with proper care and handling. An aggressive, shy, nervous baby constrictor that bites may or may not grow into a tame, calm adult. I have often been told that these snakes can be tamed as they mature but I have found that not always to be true. Good luck with your search for the right boa for your !

Bill

Old 03-20-2018, 07:01 PM   #7
Helenthereef
You might also want to consider purchasing from a smaller breeder/ hobbyist who is more likely to know their snakes' individual personalities - I do think that temperament can be inherited in many cases, and a calmer individual may well produce calmer babies than an aggressive one.

Old 03-21-2018, 11:11 AM   #8
thesarge2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenthereef View Post
You might also want to consider purchasing from a smaller breeder/ hobbyist who is more likely to know their snakes' individual personalities - I do think that temperament can be inherited in many cases, and a calmer individual may well produce calmer babies than an aggressive one.
That is also very sound and excellent advice right there. Some of the tamest baby snakes that I have bought came from small breeders who bred very tame adults.

Bill

Old 03-21-2018, 04:01 PM   #9
elena
I've found it true that Central American boas and true red-tails are flightier, but the best advice is Helen's. I only produce a few litters a year, so it's easy for me to note which individuals are the calm ones, and which are the feisty ones. I note it on their feeding cards. I'm biased, because they are my favorites, but I find that most adult Argentines are very placid, though they are hissy for the first year or so.

Old 03-23-2018, 12:37 PM   #10
acecurl16
While in the Family Bodiae ... but not the Genus Boa .. I love and find my Dumerils Boas to be very calm, docile and dependable ... fantastic pets and grow to a nice large size .. but not excessive .. mine are pets and I use them in education too :-)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!