Donations to Dr. Jacobson for IBD Research - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:42 AM   #11
TripleMoonsExotic
Just because they have an IT department doesn't mean then know anything about web development, so you can't fault them for lack of knowledge. Their is a very large architectural testing company I work with that has a five man IT department that builds crazy complex internal databases and software, but they don't know basic CSS. What they do and what I do are two totally different animals.

Now, laziness for not looking it up I do fault them for. Google "paypal donation" and the PayPal website comes right up to the section on donations and has a link to show the example code that you copy/paste.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:08 AM   #12
deborahbroadus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooing Tricycle View Post
Yes, Steph is right. Sounds like they have no clue how that works, and their tech department dosnt either. But they would probably have to set up a secondary bank account, i feel, to further separate funds received. Tracking for tax purposes. Especially if other people were going to claim such a donation on their own taxes later. paypal also takes a percentage, so, thats a waste, in my opinion. Why not just send them a check, and specifically note it for being for IBD research?
You still have to pay for an envelope and stamp and make a trip to the mailbox, and judging by the overwhelming numbers of people that donated though that medium.. ROI may be better with a PayPal button.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:56 PM   #13
Mister Internet
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleMoonsExotic View Post
Just because they have an IT department doesn't mean then know anything about web development, so you can't fault them for lack of knowledge. Their is a very large architectural testing company I work with that has a five man IT department that builds crazy complex internal databases and software, but they don't know basic CSS. What they do and what I do are two totally different animals.
I know that, I've done both. I was working on large enterprise systems when you were getting your driver's license. I also do modern web development, and it's been my experience that a college's "IT Department" is typically responsible for the web stuff as well. Since this is a rather large institution, I'm not sure why that wouldn't be the case... I have never worked with a college that has a separate 'web/graphic arts' department...

anyhoo...

Old 01-26-2011, 07:05 PM   #14
deborahbroadus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Internet View Post
I know that, I've done both. I was working on large enterprise systems when you were getting your driver's license. I also do modern web development, and it's been my experience that a college's "IT Department" is typically responsible for the web stuff as well. Since this is a rather large institution, I'm not sure why that wouldn't be the case... I have never worked with a college that has a separate 'web/graphic arts' department...

anyhoo...
Anyone can take up the reins, that's why I posted the thread so it could be a community effort. At this point, someone that knows how to explain the mechanics, better than I, is needed.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:21 PM   #15
TripleMoonsExotic
Since Tom has a vast amount of knowledge on how IT Departments at institutions such as this run, perhaps he would be best suited to contact them?

Old 01-26-2011, 07:54 PM   #16
deborahbroadus
All any one needs to do is state that they are following up on the email regarding .....

And go from there to explain. We are trying to accomplish something here.
So whichever of you volunteers is it.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:28 AM   #17
Mister Internet
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleMoonsExotic View Post
Since Tom has a vast amount of knowledge on how IT Departments at institutions such as this run, perhaps he would be best suited to contact them?
Ok, I wasn't trying to be snarky, I'm sorry if it came off that way... I was just trying to reinforce that letting the university pass it off that way is likely highly disingenuous their part, given my experience with how "IT" is handled at institutions such as this. I've worked with 3 such institutions in my career... Kirkwood Community College in Cedar Rapids, IA... NC-Chapel Hill, and my current graduate studies at DePaul in Chicago. Invariably, they sequester all their technology efforts to the same large department, and I've yet to see a sensible separation of back-end and front-end development. Maybe educational institutions have made progress in this area in the interim years since I've been exposed to them, and if so, I apologize and retract my statements.

I think what Deb experienced is exactly what I insinuated, which is a very dated and apathetic IT department that couldn't be bothered to spend 5 minutes vetting the request, even though the people likely to be tasked with the development were part of that department...

Old 02-08-2011, 11:34 AM   #18
deborahbroadus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Internet View Post
Ok, I wasn't trying to be snarky, I'm sorry if it came off that way... I was just trying to reinforce that letting the university pass it off that way is likely highly disingenuous their part, given my experience with how "IT" is handled at institutions such as this. I've worked with 3 such institutions in my career... Kirkwood Community College in Cedar Rapids, IA... NC-Chapel Hill, and my current graduate studies at DePaul in Chicago. Invariably, they sequester all their technology efforts to the same large department, and I've yet to see a sensible separation of back-end and front-end development. Maybe educational institutions have made progress in this area in the interim years since I've been exposed to them, and if so, I apologize and retract my statements.

I think what Deb experienced is exactly what I insinuated, which is a very dated and apathetic IT department that couldn't be bothered to spend 5 minutes vetting the request, even though the people likely to be tasked with the development were part of that department...
Tom, could you just pick up where I left off? I prefer this to be a joint effort.

Thanks!

Old 02-08-2011, 02:52 PM   #19
snakechaarmer
Has anyone done anymore work on this? I am local to the university and if nobody has picked up and called I may waltz on over there and see if I can do anything in person to get this rolling.

Old 02-08-2011, 06:22 PM   #20
Mister Internet
Quote:
Originally Posted by deborahbroadus View Post
Tom, could you just pick up where I left off? I prefer this to be a joint effort.

Thanks!
I'm sorry, I was merely making observations on your situation, I apologize if I gave the impression I was able or anxious to volunteer in the effort... I fear my contributions to this thread were more harmful than helpful.

Just so you know, there is no point explaining the "mechanics" of this to anyone there... it would be like explaining the "mechanics" of ringing up a purchase on a cash register to a business owner. If they don't now how to do it by now or with 10 minutes' research, nothing any of us say is going to be the tipping factor. I applaud your efforts, but they have pretty much told you where they stand, which is 10 years in the past, like most academic institutions...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!