Life with a Burmese? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-19-2005, 03:14 AM   #11
Karen Hulvey
Harald you're crackin' me up!

Hot water works wonders but it only works if you can manage to drag all 10' or 15', or however long it is, of the snake to the sink.

Old 09-19-2005, 05:24 AM   #12
Lucille
I will give these suggestions some consideration as I have no alcohol in my home. I have been bitten from time to time but have never had a snake bite and latch on, that must be quite an experience,

Old 09-19-2005, 06:32 AM   #13
hhmoore
part of it will depend on your tolerance - not to make light of the concept of being bitten and held by a large constrictor (or anything else). My approach, when bitten by something that wanted to hold on has always been to just wait them out. Yes, I frequently broke those rules about always having another person at least close by when handling the big guys. but the bites were rarely surprises. the worst (and most stupid, lol) was when I lost the "you are going in there" battle with a large, squirmy African rock. I had a set of cages occupying a walk in closet, and he managed to get his head between the top of the cage and the frame of the closet. DONE, it was all over, and I eventually gave up the (futile) fight and watched him disappear. He couldn't get anywhere, but I didn't want him coming out and wreaking havoc. In my infinite wisdom, I went down and defrosted a guinea pig... thinking I could lure him out.
It was a great plan, and would have worked easier if I hadn't lent my feeding tongs to somebody. (can you see where this is going yet?) I grasped the g.pig by the hind quarters, and pushed the head up over the top of the cage. Instantly, the rocks head shot past, circled down and grabbed my hand, and tried to retreat into the 3 inch gap over the cage. even if I had had a spray bottle, I couldn't have gotten to it. there was even somebody home that I could have called out to, not that she could have done anything. so I resigned myself to waiting. This sucked, because it felt as if I was being degloved (for those of you not familiar with the term, degloving is the removing of the skin from the hand...like taking off a glove). but as time went on, and my hand didn't go into the small space (picture me standing there, hand over my head, pulled against a 6' high stack of cages, while a large snake is trying to drag me in - its actually kinda funny), he came out just a bit to wrap a coil around my wrist. This sucked too, but it was the beginning of what I knew was my way out. after about 10 more minutes of squeezing and pulling, he came out a little farther to get a better grip, and I began working him out of the space. it took about 5 minutes but out he came. I sat down in the middle of the floor, and he almost immediately let go. I picked up the guinea pig (I had long since dropped that to the floor) and put it in his cage, then steered him in.
My advice to everyone - DON'T DO THAT!!
An note - have any of you noticed that rocks, at least large imported rocks, tend to shoot past their prey, then hook back and constrict/grab in one motion...typically biting toward the rear of the animal. In my experience, this was a very common thing...at least with prey items ranging in size from large rats to 5lb rabbits. (yes, I had already noticed this when the above incident took place, and I knew I was in trouble as soon as I saw his head come out)

Old 09-19-2005, 08:09 AM   #14
ms_terese
Lucille, I don't have any decent pics of the enclosures that would show their layout, but here are a couple of pics of the inhabitants.
Attached Images

Old 09-19-2005, 01:00 PM   #15
Lucille
Harald OMG what a terrifying experience!!! I can't imagine going through all that!!
Terese those are gorgeous snakes but of course now I want to hear who everyone in the pic is....

Old 09-19-2005, 02:11 PM   #16
Junkyard
Harold, seems you just had a lot of fun there. As far as my lab quality alcohol, I have had friends taste the stuff, they said it was the most disgusting thing they ever tried. I do not drink so I would not know one way or the other. I figure if 100 percent pure alcohol did not work than I am in trouble, I have not tried the isopropyl alcohol(rubbing alcohol) though it may be a better choice, I am sure it would have a better impact on the snake. Maybe even acetone would work too, but I am going to stick with the safer alcohol, 100 percent versus chemically altered is a better choice I think. I figured my lab quality was strong enough, all well, I guess I can say I have seen a tipsy snake for sure now.

Old 09-19-2005, 02:56 PM   #17
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucille
Harald OMG what a terrifying experience!!! I can't imagine going through all that!!
Terese those are gorgeous snakes but of course now I want to hear who everyone in the pic is....
It was stupid, as I already said. I did try to do it in a "hands off" manner, but I didn't have enough control. I literally had only the back legs in my hand (my thumb under the belly) and pushed the front end up with a snake hook. If it had not been for the "overshoot", it would have worked great. Literally as soon as I saw his head, I knew I was had...but it was too late to stop.

Lesson learned though...I have never put a bank of cages in a walk-in closet since!

Old 09-19-2005, 03:51 PM   #18
Jim O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard
Harold, seems you just had a lot of fun there. As far as my lab quality alcohol, I have had friends taste the stuff, they said it was the most disgusting thing they ever tried. I do not drink so I would not know one way or the other. I figure if 100 percent pure alcohol did not work than I am in trouble, I have not tried the isopropyl alcohol(rubbing alcohol) though it may be a better choice, I am sure it would have a better impact on the snake. Maybe even acetone would work too, but I am going to stick with the safer alcohol, 100 percent versus chemically altered is a better choice I think. I figured my lab quality was strong enough, all well, I guess I can say I have seen a tipsy snake for sure now.
Actually, 100 ethyl alcohol does not exist naturally as it distills as an azeotrope of 95%-96% alcohol, 4%-5% water. In order to get the remaining water off it needs to be mixed with benzene and redistilled. That will leave a tiny amount of benzene behind which is HIGHLY TOXIC (causes liver injury and is associated with leukemia). So...is it really 100% ethyl alcohol? If so, do not use it on anything living. If it's 95% then at least you know that it probably does not contain benzene, but if it is laboratory ethanol it still may contain some methanol and other compounds that are not the best for your herps. I would stick with cheap vodka.

Old 09-19-2005, 05:16 PM   #19
Lucille
We will have to name these two. Few of my snakes are named, after all they do not come when they are called; but my biggest boa is Ms. Plus Size and she is only a little over 9 feet. Any ideas for names?

Old 09-19-2005, 06:25 PM   #20
Junkyard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim O
Actually, 100 ethyl alcohol does not exist naturally as it distills as an azeotrope of 95%-96% alcohol, 4%-5% water. In order to get the remaining water off it needs to be mixed with benzene and redistilled. That will leave a tiny amount of benzene behind which is HIGHLY TOXIC (causes liver injury and is associated with leukemia). So...is it really 100% ethyl alcohol? If so, do not use it on anything living. If it's 95% then at least you know that it probably does not contain benzene, but if it is laboratory ethanol it still may contain some methanol and other compounds that are not the best for your herps. I would stick with cheap vodka.
Good point. Actually I am using reagent alcohol. It is 90% ethyl alcohol, 5% methyl alcohol, and 5% isopropyl alcohol. So no it is not 100% ethyl alcohol. Thanks for catching that. Personally I stay away from any alcohol that would be used in the body, I do not allow it in my home. So I use what I have. I am more concerned of the amount of benzene drifting into my home from the neighbors smoking like chimneys from the open windows and fan circulation. (another reason I am moving) Though I did move out here to avoid a lot of pollution from vehicles that just grey out Los Angeles, I was tired of sitting behind mufflers on the freeway for a 3 hour commute one way.

From my experience I have learned that I am better off using the hot water.

I only name the snakes I use for teaching. When I start using my burm I will probably get an albino retic and call them Peaches and Cream(my wife likes those names) Though my favorite name of all my snakes is Wrheaid. Yes that is spelled right. It is spelled in old english, when spoken properly you will end up saying "Red", remember the H is silent. I am awful with names, sorry I am no help there.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!