Faraday cages, cars, what, one more thing to worry about? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum

Notices

Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum Survivalism, Livestock, Preparedness, Self Reliant Homesteading, Individual Liberty

Old 12-27-2017, 09:21 PM   #1
Lucille
Faraday cages, cars, what, one more thing to worry about?

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/16/s...c-thieves.html

Old 12-28-2017, 09:12 AM   #2
bcr229
There's something to be said for keeping around an old classic car with a manual transmission, manual choke, and no electronics.

Old 12-28-2017, 01:31 PM   #3
WebSlave
Yeah, it seems that the more complicate things become, the easier it is for motivated individuals to find flaws they can exploit.

Old 12-28-2017, 02:59 PM   #4
Lucille
There are now Faraday cages for sale online, I bought one that looks like a pink wallet.

Old 12-28-2017, 05:49 PM   #5
WebSlave
I would think a small microwave would work just fine as a Faraday cage for this keys application. Or just wrap tin foil around the keys.

Old 12-28-2017, 09:06 PM   #6
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
I would think a small microwave would work just fine as a Faraday cage for this keys application. Or just wrap tin foil around the keys.
Men
It is much more fun to pick out a cute new wallet Than it is to ball up my keys inside some tinfoil every time I come in after a drive.

Old 12-28-2017, 09:46 PM   #7
WebSlave
Heck, I guess my garage functions pretty well as a Faraday cage anyway.

Not to mention that if someone were standing outside of my garage trying to gain access to my vehicles, they would be trespassing and well within range of my "Squirrelinator" rifle if they were being persistent and making the appearance of threatening violence about it. Of course I would just be trying to stop them by hitting the black box (that looks like a weapon to me) in their hand and didn't mean to miss and hit their earlobe.....

Old 12-29-2017, 06:46 AM   #8
Lucille
I think you are pretty safe. After all, first they would have to successfully use their technology on your automatic garage door opener, and only then use it to steal your car. Considering how rural you are I don't think any one would try that. No, I think that their targets would most likely be upscale neighborhoods in urban neighborhoods so that the houses/condos/apartments are so close together, and the cars parked on the street, that their passing by the home would go unnoticed.

Old 12-29-2017, 11:34 AM   #9
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
I think you are pretty safe. After all, first they would have to successfully use their technology on your automatic garage door opener, and only then use it to steal your car. Considering how rural you are I don't think any one would try that. No, I think that their targets would most likely be upscale neighborhoods in urban neighborhoods so that the houses/condos/apartments are so close together, and the cars parked on the street, that their passing by the home would go unnoticed.
Heck, I don't use automatic garage door openers, so I guess that helps even more. I still use the old fashion "muscle method" to open up the doors.

Besides, around here having the reputation of being "the crazy people with snakes and guns" kind of keeps people from thinking trespassing would be a real great idea.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!