Found a gecko anyone know what it is? basic care tips too. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Field Collecting/Observing

Notices

Field Collecting/Observing Sightings of herps in the wild, where-tos and how-tos, as well as photos of herps in their native environment.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:15 PM   #1
rcpreis3
Found a gecko anyone know what it is? basic care tips too.

Found this lil guy in my neighbors laundry, Im not really a gecko person But this one is pretty cool looking. Need some help identifying it if ya dont mind. If its a native species to the central Florida area Ill wait til he gets healed and let him back go. Not sure how he got hurt, but it looks like he lost a chunk of skin inbetween his toes.

But if hes what I think it it is, which Im guessing African leaf tail, wouldnt he be an invasive? That means I would just have to keep him to help preserve my areas natural balance. Hes got really pretty gold eyes!

Also basic care tips would help, hes about a inch long not including his tail. So prolly pin heads daily? Every other day? Meal worms? Right now hes in a lil deli cup with aspen and I misted the whole thing so he could drink the water droplets off the walls, and have some humidity. Anything else I should do?

Thx guys!

Old 07-20-2011, 10:16 PM   #2
rcpreis3
psssh...

African flat tail, not leaf tail. Sorry, lol.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:42 PM   #3
Alex G
That is a Mediterranean House gecko. They are an invasive species. Don't know about FL's laws but here it's technically illegal to release any wild caught animal after feeding it, but I'm not sure how that's enforced or if it's even relevant to you.... but it could still introduce disease into the wild population of not only that species but similar species, so unless you plan on keeping the cute, pretty little guy, don't feed him.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:56 PM   #4
rcpreis3
Well since it would technically be illegal to do so I guess I would have to keep him. And Im pretty sure he was born wild, after doing some research on the Med House Gecko, Im pretty sure his parents were living on my neighbors porch, shame their cat got ahold of one before I did. They are quite tricky to get.

Any basic care tips for geckos? Never owned one of any species.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:01 AM   #5
Alex G
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcpreis3 View Post
Well since it would technically be illegal to do so I guess I would have to keep him. And Im pretty sure he was born wild, after doing some research on the Med House Gecko, Im pretty sure his parents were living on my neighbors porch, shame their cat got ahold of one before I did. They are quite tricky to get.

Any basic care tips for geckos? Never owned one of any species.
He'll need a secure arboreal tank and will eat insects, I'm not sure what size insect will be appropriate for him since when I cared for one it was a tiny baby the size of my fingernail which I fed fruitflies. This particular kind of gecko will not need crested gecko diet. He is nocturnal, so no UV light. Probably a daily misting will be in order so he can lick drops of water from the sides of the tank. Good luck with this cutie! I don't care that they are invasive, I think H. turcicus is adorable

Old 07-21-2011, 08:35 AM   #6
rcpreis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex G View Post
He'll need a secure arboreal tank and will eat insects, I'm not sure what size insect will be appropriate for him since when I cared for one it was a tiny baby the size of my fingernail which I fed fruitflies. This particular kind of gecko will not need crested gecko diet. He is nocturnal, so no UV light. Probably a daily misting will be in order so he can lick drops of water from the sides of the tank. Good luck with this cutie! I don't care that they are invasive, I think H. turcicus is adorable
Awesome! Thanks. Any substrate suggestions or is aspen ok?

Old 07-21-2011, 08:44 AM   #7
rcarichter
I might go with a sand/peat mix to mimic their natural substrate. But, yeah, it's an introduced species, so you're really obligated to keep it!

Noelle

Old 07-21-2011, 09:48 AM   #8
Focal
Awesome!! I use to have one that I caught and it stayed tiny forever. I use to feed it small crickets and kept it on sand/peat/soil. I use to love watching it eat because it was such an insane eater. It would stalk and track down crickets like a lion. I think there are a few different versions than the med. house gecko, I thought mine was a common house gecko but didn't know of the other types. I think you have to count their lines or what not.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:29 AM   #9
LampropeltisCollector
Just use paper towel and something that has a tight lid, they can get through small cracks like a credit card!

Old 07-23-2011, 12:49 PM   #10
Alex G
Talked to one of my friends today, he said to feed these crickets or roaches (not dubias).

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!