Ebola epidemic - Page 8 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum

Notices

Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum Survivalism, Livestock, Preparedness, Self Reliant Homesteading, Individual Liberty

Old 08-17-2014, 01:25 PM   #71
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Hultman View Post
Ebola-Stricken Countries Turning to Ancient Practice to Curb Outbreak

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/ebola-s...ry?id=24964423
On that subject,

Ebola patients flee attack on Liberia isolation

http://news.yahoo.com/ebola-patients..._BTcHAAv9nQtDM
Quote:
D

Seventeen patients infected with Ebola were unaccounted for on Sunday after they fled an armed raid on a quarantine centre in Monrovia by men who claimed the epidemic is a fiction.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:02 AM   #72
bcr229
Darwin isn't just shooting fish in a barrel, he's using dynamite. Combine the normal filth and population density in an African slum, throw in Ebola-infected bedding used by people who don't understand hygiene and how diseases spread, and in two or three weeks it's going to be ugly there.

Ebola spread fears rise as clinic looted, Liberian officials say

MONROVIA, Liberia – Liberian officials fear Ebola could soon spread through the capital's largest slum after residents raided a quarantine center for suspected patients and took items including blood-stained sheets and mattresses.

The violence in the West Point slum occurred late Saturday and was led by residents angry that patients were brought to the holding center from other parts of Monrovia, Tolbert Nyenswah, assistant health minister, said Sunday.

Up to 30 patients were staying at the center and many of them fled at the time of the raid, said Nyenswah. Once they are located they will be transferred to the Ebola center at Monrovia's largest hospital, he said.

West Point residents went on a "looting spree," stealing items from the clinic that were likely infected, said a senior police official, who insisted on anonymity because he was not authorized to brief the press. The residents took medical equipment and mattresses and sheets that had bloodstains, he said.

"All between the houses you could see people fleeing with items looted from the patients," the official said, adding that he now feared "the whole of West Point will be infected."

Some of the looted items were visibly stained with blood, vomit and excrement, said Richard Kieh, who lives in the area.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:19 AM   #73
WebSlave
Sounds to me that the population of the entire African continent is about to be reduced by 50 percent.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:10 AM   #74
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
That's why scopes were made to put onto rifles.....
I researched how long the virus can live outside a host, and it can live up to 23 days. I don't think zombies really exist but if a person/animal is infected with Ebola, you probably want them to glorp as little blood as possible. They may already be bleeding externally due to the disease process.
If you pick off our fictional zombie with a rifle at 500 yards, they are going to glorp blood everywhere.
For the next 21 days, any predators, or even birds or other critters in the area who may come in contact with the blood could conceivably transport it to an area where a human (you) might then come into contact with the virus.

The zombie example is a good way to think through possibilities for infection spread.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:02 PM   #75
j_dunlavy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Hultman View Post
Ebola patients flee attack on Liberia isolation
[quote=bcr229;1743801]Darwin isn't just shooting fish in a barrel, he's using dynamite. Combine the normal filth and population density in an African slum, throw in Ebola-infected bedding used by people who don't understand hygiene and how diseases spread, and in two or three weeks it's going to be ugly there.

Ebola spread fears rise as clinic looted, Liberian officials say/[quote]

after seeing no stories posted on Yahoo today about Ebola (and it could just be Yahoo) I am now very worried; when it drops from the headlines as things get bad... panic prevention as just got real...

I have my earthquake supplies, do you?

Old 08-18-2014, 12:18 PM   #76
rcarichter
Announced today that a Nigerian woman died at the Abu Dhabi airport, apparently showing symptoms of Ebola. Roughly 12 million people travel through that airport each year. I believe UAE will be far better equipped to handle this than Africa, but still...

Old 08-18-2014, 01:50 PM   #77
bcr229
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_dunlavy View Post
I have my earthquake supplies, do you?
I prep for blizzards and ice storms.

Old 08-19-2014, 03:11 AM   #78
Dennis Hultman
Shoot-on-sight order in Ebola-wary Liberia

http://www.skynews.com.au/news/world...y-liberia.html

Liberia's armed forces have reportedly been given orders to shoot people trying to illegally cross the border from neighbouring Sierra Leone, which was closed to stem the spread of Ebola.

Old 08-19-2014, 11:09 AM   #79
bcr229
Wow. We have hundreds if not thousands of people illegally crossing our porous land borders daily, but at least the Coasties are on the ball for people on ships.
http://www.maritime-executive.com/ar...mic-2014-08-08

Old 08-19-2014, 09:24 PM   #80
WebSlave
Do you think, perhaps, someone might be thinking of a way to PURPOSELY get an ebola infected person into the USA?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!