hairless rat breeding questions - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 10-23-2010, 05:10 PM   #1
groomingdiva
hairless rat breeding questions

Hi,

I am raising hairless rats for feeders. Do they generally have smaller litters? this is my 2nd litter and she only had 5 one died a few days later. My regular rats seem to have 8-10 babies. The hairless aren't related and are fed a combo of rat blocks, high protein puppy food and bird seed. Also, a selection of veggies and whatever leftovers I have.

Thanks,

Steph

Old 10-24-2010, 11:55 AM   #2
Amelanistic Orca
Hey Steph... For what it's worth... I just had a two female hairylesses drop a total of 16 and one DOA?? I took a pic to show ya if you wanna email me?? Or; about 8 each I guess?? I definitely notice a little smaller litters from girls lacking hair for what it's worth... A good litter for me is 12-14 from my hairfulls... Lol.. Hope this helps...

Old 10-24-2010, 11:56 AM   #3
Amelanistic Orca
The iPhone is horrible... Lol.. I have two litters on ground from two hairless females and a pic for ya...

Old 10-24-2010, 12:52 PM   #4
groomingdiva
Thanks Tom,

I was just curious. My hairfuls are a little older, so maybe they don't have the oomf anymore to produce 12 at a time. The balds are still young and this is only their 2nd litters for both girls. I didn't get a pic to come thru, but I believe you

Old 10-28-2010, 07:31 AM   #5
Greatballzofire
I have a pair of young unrelated hairless that have just mated for the first time this week, so I expect to see a litter in a few weeks. The person I got them from has had great success with her stock. I will let you know how things turn out with mine. I do provide an under tank heater for mine under their hide box for added warmth. This type of rat comes from lab stock that had many problems, weak maternal response being one of those problems. But out breeding to healthy normal rats has improved this hairless strain a great deal.

My rats are just pets. I raise mice for feeders.

Old 10-28-2010, 03:58 PM   #6
Crazy-Rat-Lady
Can't w8 to see how it comes out. I breed mine and I diden't get any hairless. Is it not a dominant gene?

Old 11-30-2010, 02:25 PM   #7
bkelley02
Is there a benefit to using hairless mice for feeders over regular haired mice?

Old 11-30-2010, 07:49 PM   #8
Greatballzofire

Tanya had her babies November 26. This is them today. She has been doing a great job with nursing. I took Paul out so he wouldn't mate with her. The poor little dude; he is lonely so I let him sit on my shoulder and "talk" to me every day. She on the other hand is not interested in anything but the care of her babies. A first rate mama! LOL!

I have heard that hairless rats when eaten by snakes tend to cause the snakes to have sort of loose stools because there is no hair to bind the feces together. I don't think this would hurt the snakes but might gross out the snake keeper!

Genetically it looks like all ten of the babies will be fuzzy. I will post more pictures as they develop.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:44 AM   #9
Abby
I love hairless rats! However, they can be harder to breed if you are using hairless females. Hairless females generally tend to have smaller litters, and more deaths. I've read that they tend to have a harder time raising them because they don't produce as much milk, and they are known to eat their babies more often... but who knows if that's really true. I successfully bred a hairless female a few times. Her first litter she produced 8 but only raised 3 to weaned age, her 2nd litter did much better though and all lived.

I've heard that your best bet is to use a hairless male and "het" hairless females - in other words a normal haired female who carries the hairless gene. That way she doesn't have the complications hairless females tend to have but will still produce hairless babies. Of course there are several genes in rats responsible for baldies so it could depend on your specific line of hairless. Just thought this information could help someone else. The information I have was found on various rat breeder websites, unfortunately I don't have the links on hand

Old 12-01-2010, 07:41 AM   #10
irishanaconda
Well i can too say i wouldnt use hairless as feeders for the simple fact they bleed all over the frickin place

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!