My Trip to South Dakota, Grand Tetons, and Yellowstone! PHOTOS!! DUW - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 05-27-2011, 12:01 AM   #1
Miss Tuniwha
My Trip to South Dakota, Grand Tetons, and Yellowstone! PHOTOS!! DUW

I am now back.. and here are some of my favourite photos I took.. You can see the rest here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/hockada...7626808260691/

At the wolf center:

Gray Wolves:

gray wolf pair by Hockaday Photography, on Flickr

wolf teeth by Hockaday Photography, on Flickr

wolf reflection by Hockaday Photography, on Flickr

wolf howling by Hockaday Photography, on Flickr

Gray wolf by Hockaday Photography, on Flickr

wolf by Hockaday Photography, on Flickr

Old 05-27-2011, 01:33 AM   #2
garweft
Don't get eaten by a bear

Old 05-27-2011, 09:26 AM   #3
KelliH
Yellowstone is one of the most beautiful places I have ever visited. I truly believe that place saved my life.

I highly recommend staying in the park itself. The park is quite large, and is sectioned off into several geographically different sections. We stayed in the "Lake" section when I was there in 2005 and it was so peaceful and lovely.

Highlights from my point of view:
-the fascinating hydrothermal pools (there are LOTS of these) in the southern part of the park
-the dozens upon dozens of bison that will casually walk within feet of you in the "Lake" area
-the huge elk you will see in the northern areas of the park, just massive
-all of the other animals you will see! We saw a couple of red fox in the Hayden Valley area, and when my parents went back a couple of years ago they saw a grizzly there
-There are no televisions or telephones in the cabins or rooms, and no cell phone service in most of the park which is wonderful!
-the chilly mornings sitting outside with a cup of coffee, watching the animals and enjoying the quiet

You really need to stay in the park for several days to see everything and also have time to relax. We went in the fall (late Sept early Oct) so I don't believe there were nearly as many people as in the summertime.

Congratulations on 9 years of marriage!

Old 05-27-2011, 11:49 AM   #4
WebSlave
Take LOTS of pics...

Connie and I are hoping to get out there (Yellowstone) when we can get around to travelling.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:51 AM   #5
Focal
Quote:
Originally Posted by garweft View Post
Don't get eaten by a bear
Yes, don't take (or rent) a convertible.

Old 05-27-2011, 02:14 PM   #6
snowgyre
If you don't want to stay in Yellowstone, I suggest spending the night in Bozeman, Montana. Although there are closer locations, the price of lodging will be significantly more as you approach the park, particularly in West Yellowstone.

If you just want to do a day trip, I suggest driving southwest from Bozeman before dawn, entering the park by West Yellowstone, and doing the upper loop that will eventually take you out of the park by Mammoth Springs. That road eventually hooks up to I-90 in Livingston. Alternatively, if you're coming from South Dakota, you could stay in Livingston, but it's a much smaller town than Bozeman so your lodging and eating choices are less. The loop is about 400 miles, but I did this in a 16 hour day with plenty of time to stop, eat, and enjoy all the major sights along the way.

Be sure to stop at the Artist's Canyon. To me, that's far more spectacular than any of the hot springs simply because of it's amazing size and virtually hidden location.

Also, DO NOT APPROACH THE WILDLIFE! Bison, elk, bears, coyotes... all of them can hurt you very badly, and approaching them not only puts you in danger, but it also teaches them very bad habits. If you do stay in the park overnight, follow all of the instructions the rangers give you about bears precisely! You do not want to get into a tangle with them!

Old 05-27-2011, 07:31 PM   #7
Miss Tuniwha
We already booked a hotel room in the west part of Yellowstone..

as well as a couple days just south of yellowstone, in a cabin just off of the lake in front of the Grand Tetons.

And I know not to go near wildlife.. sheeeeesh..

Actually last year we went to south dakota. We had gone on the wildlife loop.. and I watched people get OUT of their vehicle to feed the WILD donkeys and such... with their small children!! I just cringed... the donkeys even walked up and shoved their heads into vehicles as they tried to pass thru.. so clearly it has been going on for a long time.. which is sad. Can't really even call them wild

I never heard of the artists' canyon.. We will definitely be making a stop there if possible! thanks

Old 06-12-2011, 01:15 AM   #8
Miss Tuniwha
A few shots from Bear Country USA in South Dakota:

bear in tree by Hockaday Photography, on Flickr

bear cub by Hockaday Photography, on Flickr

timber wolves by Hockaday Photography, on Flickr

red fox by Hockaday Photography, on Flickr

Old 06-12-2011, 01:18 AM   #9
Miss Tuniwha
And The Grand Tetons:

grand tetons and moon by Hockaday Photography, on Flickr

grand tetons by Hockaday Photography, on Flickr

grand tetons by Hockaday Photography, on Flickr

The Devils Tower:

devils tower by Hockaday Photography, on Flickr

devils tower by Hockaday Photography, on Flickr

Old 06-12-2011, 01:22 AM   #10
Miss Tuniwha
and the best part.. WILD ANIMALS!!!! Most of these we saw in Yellowstone:

chihuahuan burrowing owl by Hockaday Photography, on Flickr

Eastern Meadowlark by Hockaday Photography, on Flickr

prarie dogs by Hockaday Photography, on Flickr

bison by Hockaday Photography, on Flickr

elk by Hockaday Photography, on Flickr

bison face by Hockaday Photography, on Flickr

grizzly by Hockaday Photography, on Flickr

grizzly 3 marked by Hockaday Photography, on Flickr

mammoth springs by Hockaday Photography, on Flickr

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!