Advise a new guy about this please - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Chameleons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-19-2005, 12:25 AM   #1
Charlie_Vegas
Advise a new guy about this please

Hello all I'm Charlie form Vegas, I got a large screen cage from my friend, it's probably a little more than 3 feet tall and 2 1/2 feet wide...maybe it's not large, I wanted to get a chameleon but first wanted to make sure I knew what I was doing, somewhat. I know chams need humidity I think it's somewhere around 75-85% I'm not sure. I think I need a live plant or a few live plants, right? I was advised to put Saran Wrap around the sides and the back to help with the humidity with one of the lamps to set on top of the cage, and to either get a mist system or do it manually atleast three time a day. Could I use that dripper system thing, I don't know much about that part either. Now the feeding is what's got me, do I just put a bunch of crickets in there and let the cham go at it? Or is there a much better way?
I'm probably all wrong but please help me out. I was wanting to get a panther cham. but I don't know where to get one, and does haveing different types of chams affect the overall set-up? Sorry this is so long. Your help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-19-2005, 07:52 AM   #2
kaykay
You need to do a lot of research on them first. yes live plants are very good and also keep the humidity up. also for humidity and watering you will need to get a misting system and a water dripper. chameleons will not drink standing water. the cage sounds good if you want a panther but you could go bigger. a great plant to use is a ficus tree wich will fit in the cage well. as far as feeding, i would sugest bowl/cup feeding. just attatch a cup to the side of the cage. make sure the chameleon can get up higher than it so it can easily access the food. also make sure the cup is tall enough so the crickets cant get out. If you want a panther i am going to warn you that they are expensive but well worth it. in order for best starter chams i would say veiled, panther, jacksons. i got my veiled from Kammerflage Kreations at www.calumma.com. they have some beautiful panther chameleons and are great to work with. ok i hope this helped and good luck!

Old 04-19-2005, 10:13 AM   #3
whitey4311
I too just got my order for a panther from Kammerflage, they are the nicest people to deal with and I highly reccomend them.
Your cage will work fine for about 6 months at which point a larger cage would be nicer for your cham. You can see pics of my cage under the "massive cage pics" its a bit over the top but very nice. I say you order the usuall cage size of 48x24x24 I think that is the normal large size that you can find anywhere. The other option is to start planning on making your own as you will have plenty of time to do so.
Feedig in a small nit screen cage is simple you do not need a cup you can toss about in there for a cham 0-4 months old lighlty dusted with vitamins/minerals ect and thats it. Seriously talk to kammerfalge creations she has a whole spread sheet on every detail that theyy do to raise chams and it is ery easy to follow. The dripper is great for those type of cages and yes I mist as many times a day as I can. Its very dry this time of year here in california so the mist last only 5 min after soaking the tree.
Your lighting is the most important in my opinion. FOr that cage a Zoo Med 5.0 bulb is perfect and well proven for good health effects. Other than that get a 40-65 watt black heat bulb for a basking spot. I leave mine on 24 hrs a day and off to the corner of the cage where the baby cham can get away. (my new panther is 4 months old and in a cage about the size of yours) He will be ready in about 1.5-2 more months to go to the monster cage deepending on his health and how he thrives.
I spend about 1 hour every morning takign care of my chams but I have 3 so it is some work. Go for it and have fun man you will love this hobby. Half the fun is the set up with the plants so be creative and get vines ect or what ever you like and make a nice jungle.
PS the dirt you use to plant is important that it has no fertilizers. I bought super soil in the past but recently noticed that it has fertilizers written on the front of the bag. I looked around and found Kelogg has a bag or Organic dirt that has all natural products in it and that is what I currently use. Wash your plants with a diluted anti bacterial soapy water spray bottle solution and rinse very well before you re-pot them in the new dirt. (do not ever use that bottle for anything other than cleanign afterwardss, keep a brand new mister bottle just for misting)
ASK MORE QUESTIONS. I am no expert but I have a 4 year old Vield that is super healthy and obsess on researching about these chams to unsderstand what is necessary. I have a good amount of knowledge I can at least offer to start you off. SO do many others here so ask ask and ask some more, its better than a sick cham.

Old 04-19-2005, 10:40 AM   #4
Traci1
good places for info and animals...

www.calumma.com

www.screameleons.com

Old 04-26-2005, 09:57 PM   #5
looseyfur
If there was a pretty decent book to suggest grabbing from Amazon.com er where-ever, I'd say pick up "Chameleons, Their Care and Breeding" by Linda Davison. Unless that book is whack, then dont pick it up.

ya know?

loosey.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!