Interesting but unethical Hybrid attempt. - Page 6 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

View Poll Results: How do you feel about this?
Stupid, pointless, why bother mixing these 2 beautiful species? 47 38.52%
I love it, very awesome idea. 9 7.38%
Interesting at the least, but doubtfully possible. 17 13.93%
If nothing else, Id like to see results. 49 40.16%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-03-2006, 02:55 PM   #51
Southwick Herps
It may not be a hypothesis... But is it not a scientific inquiry? Who says you need to have a hypothesis to make it scientific??
Besides... who says he didnt predict what the outcome would be? Just by breeding them, he obviously has the question. Success or failure. Which means, if he is optimistic there is the hypothesis... success.. if he's pessemistic then it'll be failure...

Old 01-03-2006, 05:27 PM   #52
Rakshasanyc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southwick Herps
I think that people should stop hybridizing snakes. Get real, the majority only do it to make an insane profit on their creations like with the Borneo Bat Eaters. They make quite a profit. Buy simple, cheap burms and retics, and breed em together, and sell for thousands upon thousands...
Actually, as I understand it creating Borneo Bateaters is a rather involved process. More often than not the Burm & Retic will refuse to mate; when they do more often than not the eggs will be infertile. You're probably going to need multiple Burms and multiple Retics to make a serious attempt at creating Bateaters. And while Burms and Retics may be simple and cheap, keeping a couple dozen of each is neither simple nor cheap.

Offhand, the only people I can think of who have produced Bateaters are Bob Clark and NERD -- both of whom have very large collections of very large snakes. I'm sure there are others, but I'm betting they came to the table with multiple snakes. If Joe Blow from Kokomo could put his Retic and Burm together and produce Bateaters as easily as he could breed pure Retics or pure Burms, they wouldn't be going for $5k a pop.

I will of course defer to others on here whose knowledge surpasses my own: I've never attempted Burm or Retic breeding and probably never will, given the current flooded state of the market. And I have to admit that I'm curious to see what a Burm/Ball cross would look like. (At the very least I'm guessing it wouldn't be a fussy eater )

Old 01-03-2006, 05:58 PM   #53
Griz
Of course, you always have this possibility.......

Old 01-16-2006, 03:55 PM   #54
Southwick Herps
Now that is impossible. They'll court all ya want, but a live bearer cannot breed and produce offspring with a egg bearing species...

Old 01-16-2006, 07:01 PM   #55
amayon
what two kinds of snakes are those?

oh and hey i have the latest in the hot designer mutts

Rare Merle Pit Bull Stud Fee Starting At $1500

Old 01-16-2006, 07:11 PM   #56
Metalmaster136
Is it really all about looks? I guess so. This damn world of ours has evolved for the worse. The whole view on pretty people blah blah blah in my opinion is ruining our world. People get depressed because of this shit, then we give them "anti depressants" and we make them feel better that way. Pills aren't any good. LIKE LETS MAKE EVERYTHING BETTER FROM CHEMICALS.

I wish we lived like people way back. It irrates me.

Now to my point, have we gone to the limit? NO, we have to do this to ANIMALS, we have to do it to our loyal pets so they look good. We have to mess with evolution and make it worse than it already has gotten us. I'm not saying evolution is a bad things but we're abusing it.

WE ARE ABUSING EVOLUTION.

What makes me mad is that some people would rather have a AMAZING looking snake who bites them al the time and they can't enjoy them, rather than an ugly snake that has the best personality. Why has it come to this.

I didn't read all pages of this but i read a few and this is just my $.02 of this matter.

Old 01-22-2006, 09:56 PM   #57
ffollett
Bringing up a topic like hybrids and Live vs p/k is like starting an all out war. People are ready to take up arms to kill the evil little hybrid monsters. I just don't understand why people get so worked up about these things. It isn't like he is going to start a secret project to release them into the wild were they will screw up an ecosystem.
Would I have tried this combo? Nope. It probably wouldn't have crossed my mind to even attempt it. In the long run I hope it works out for him and he has healthy babies out of the mix. One because I met him at the Daytona show and he seems like a nice guy and two because it would suck for the babies if they did hatch out into a world of suffering. If that was the case I am sure he would put them down. If they are healthy I am sure others will try it.
How many of the larger breeder do you think try this but they just don't post pics of it. What was the last hybrid to come out of NERD I can't remember off the top of my head? I do remember it was two species that should not have been able to breed based on current taxonomy. How many mixes do you think Kevin put together before getting a success. I am sure he has others that he is trying. I also know because of his hybrid now current taxonomy will have to be looked over again and changed.

Old 01-23-2006, 10:17 AM   #58
Cat_72
Quote:
Bringing up a topic like hybrids and Live vs p/k is like starting an all out war. People are ready to take up arms to kill the evil little hybrid monsters.
I don't see an all-out war anywhere, do you?

There are those of us who perhaps disagree with it, but can still have an intelligent, adult discussion about it.

I don't see anyone here ready to "kill all the hybrid monsters" either. A life is a life, that would be why, if you had read my initial postings, I was appalled at the thought of creating them just to do that very thing. Once they are here on Earth, they deserve the same chance at a humane life as any other creature, but if they are destined to have health problems and such, OR you are just doing it "to see what will happen" and then stick them in the freezer, why create them at all?

Old 01-23-2006, 10:40 AM   #59
amayon
that last pic, can someone tell me what species those are please?

Old 01-23-2006, 06:05 PM   #60
ffollett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_72
I don't see an all-out war anywhere, do you?

There are those of us who perhaps disagree with it, but can still have an intelligent, adult discussion about it.
Sorry I didn't mean to imply that is what was going on here. I was just saying that hybrids and live vs f/t seem like the herp worlds version of talking about sex and politics.

I actually like the way things are being handled here. I have seen to many of these conversations in other places turn into what I was talking about, thats all.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!