Dangerous Snake Removed From Local Family's Home - AZ - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 12-10-2009, 06:36 AM   #1
wcreptiles
Dangerous Snake Removed From Local Family's Home - AZ

Another big snake escapes, now is a real bad time for the publicity.

Quote:
Dangerous Snake Removed From Local Family's Home

Posted: Dec 8, 2009 11:43 PM EST

Updated: Dec 9, 2009 01:58 AM EST

Reported By: Rob Hughes (rhughes@kswt.com)

Yuma, AZ December 8- For the second time in six months, a dangerous snake is removed from a local family's home. Officials are hoping this isn't a trend, but are preparing for the worst.

In July of this year, a 2 year old Florida girl was killed by a pet python. Officials are warning pet owners of the risks of owning a potentially dangerous animal. Experts say exotic animals can be deadly to owners, and if they escape, dangerous to the surrounding community.

"I was really scared," said Victor Morales, 14, of Yuma.

Morales was doing yard work at his home in Yuma Monday afternoon.

"I came to the back and got a rake; I was looking for a rake, and that's when I saw the snake, it was like 7-8 feet, pretty big; that's when I ran inside and called my mom, she came outside because she didn't believe me, because she thought I was trying to get out of doing chores," said Morales.

Fire officials say the pet boa constrictor escaped from a neighbor's house, and slithered into the backyard. Victor's nephew Robert Gonzalez was also there.

"My uncle came in the backyard because my grandma sent him to get the rake, so he came over here and he went running into the house freaking out, so then he told me, and we came back here and looked at it," said Gonzalez, 13.

Minutes later firefighters arrived and captured the snake with no injuries. Mike Erfert with the Yuma Fire Department says it's not a call they get very often.

"It's not a normal firefighter type of duty, but it is something that every so often the department is called upon to respond to," said Erfert.

The snake has been turned over to a relative of the owner. In the meantime, Erfert encourages you to do emergency personnel a favor, and keep an eye on your exotic pets.

"This is something that seems to be happening more often with these exotic pets escaping, and then other resources have to deal with it," said Erfert.

Officials say if you see a dangerous snake or other exotic animal, get away from it and call 911.
http://www.kswt.com/Global/story.asp?S=11645570

Old 12-10-2009, 09:21 AM   #2
Twizted Paths
Great, just bloody great. There's the excuse to take my boas.

With all the crap going on how could you let your snake get loose?!

People Suck.

Old 12-10-2009, 11:17 AM   #3
fishnfool73
The many will pay for the sins of a few.

Old 12-11-2009, 03:38 AM   #4
R. Eventide

Anyone else notice that the headline is the eye-catching "Snake removed from family's home" and the family says they found it in the backyard?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!