Drooling Beardie! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-15-2005, 09:46 PM   #1
artie
Drooling Beardie!

My 2 year old bearded dragon has done something very strange and I was wondering if anyone else has ever heard of this.
He spit up what appears to be just plain drool.
It is clear and odorless.

I didn't actually see how he acted when he spit. He was walking around on some flattened paper bags (he likes do dig on them) and I turned away for a moment and when I turned back there was a puddle of spit and some hanging from his mouth. It was about a tablespoon of liquid.
That first time I had just given him a warm water bath and he had drunk some of the water, so I just assumed that he had drank too much and spit it back out.
(Normally, he drinks cool water out of a cup that I hold for him, he refuses to drink out of a dish or off the walls.)

Just this morning I went to offer him some water and noticed drool on his mouth again before he had drunk anything.

His mouth looks totally normal.
He was just at the vet a month ago and she said he was doing fine for a beardie his age. I took him because I was concerned that he hadn't been eating or pooping as much.
She "encouraged" a fecal sample from him and it was negative for parasites.
His bacteria count was perfect. His weight was perfect.
She gave him a small steroid injection to encourage eating, just to be safe.

If anyone has any idea what this is, I would really appreciate whatever information you can offer.

Old 04-16-2005, 08:14 AM   #2
rujonesin
There are different reasons beardies can begin to drool. A couple of them are mouth rot and/or respiratory infections. That does not mean because you have seen your beardie drool a couple times it has one of those problems. I will tell you that drooling is not common in a healthy beardie though. Look for some other stuff. have you looked inside the mouth? Is there any discoloration like black or white? Look around the gumline and as far back into the throat as you can.

Is there any discharge coming from the nostrils? Or do you hear any sounds from breathing? What are your cage temps at? I would make sure he has a basking area of 100-105 and keep the rest of his enclosure in the low 80's. If he is getting a R.I. increased temps can help fight it off. The above temps would be considered normal for a healthy dragon.

If the drooling continues you need to make a vet visit.

Mike

Old 04-16-2005, 12:17 PM   #3
artie
Yes

Yes, that is almost exactly what his temps are at.
When we were at the vet a month ago, we went over the whole set up to make sure I wasn't making any mistakes and she said it was set up wonderfully.
As I said, his mouth looks totally normal.
He has no discharge and no funny breathing.
That's why I'm so confused.
I will watch for those other signs, and am definately considering another vet visit.

Old 08-27-2017, 09:02 PM   #4
Dragongirl22
I need help

Help my bearded dragon Ryu is drooling and I saw ants crawling out of his mouth maybe they but his tongue or something I don't know and he hasn't eaten in two days and hasn't pooped in I think a week please help me

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!