Handeling Rock Python, Cage Aggressive Possibly - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-06-2011, 11:03 PM   #1
lthomas926
Handeling Rock Python, Cage Aggressive Possibly

I'm a new owner of a African Rock that is 3 1/2 - 4 feet. He is very aggressive in the cage, very hissy and is not scared to strike. Once I manage to get him out he calms down more, He still hisses some and will strike from time to time. Its Like two totally different snakes. I'm experienced with snakes just never had this issue. And I know African rocks are notorious for being very bad tempered and aggressive. The pet store never got him out only fed him, so do you suppose this issue is related to the fact that no one ever handled him and he only associates someone in the cage as feeding time. And is always in feeding mode when doors open combined with there common bad temper?

Just wanted another owners take as well as steps to correct the issue.

Also are there any forums dedicated to this awesome species?

Old 07-06-2011, 11:42 PM   #2
reticguy76
it really frustrates me when people automatically "condemn" the rock python as being notoriously aggressive and defensive and all that. they are great animals with just as much potential for aggressiveness or extreme tameness as any other large boidae snake. ive had several big boids and ive had the nicest rocks ever and the nicest retics, boas, balls burms. i have also had the nastiest rocks, burms, balls, boas, retics ever.
now that my rant is done, that snake is way young and small enough to get worked with and calm down to a "non-rock python" attitude.
i would recommend that you let him settle in for a week or so, with very minimal interaction. maybe give the snake a hide or two during that time.
then after a week or so (5-7 days, feeding him around day 4 or so depending on his last feeding and defecation).
once the lump is gone from the feeding (if done), handle him 1-2 times daily for a few days in a row, for like 10-15 minutes each time. assuming he defecated in the few day period, feed him gain (inside the cage, dont forget to "hook train")
and then just handle him daily for a few days, let him slither around you, get used to your scent and all that.
main thing, if he is striking at you and even biting you, do not put him back. if you put him back on his terms, he won. you need to put him back on your terms. he will eventually associate that and realize that just striking and biting doesnt let him get away and get back to his space (cage).
then its just regular handling, hook training, proper feeding, and proper husbandry. he should calm down quickly (especially being young, small and assuming he is cbb)

good luck.

rocks are great, dont go into him thinking, oh man, he is a rock and ive heard and read about these guys. they are great. they just alot of times require a little more work and patience.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:07 AM   #3
lthomas926
Thanks for the feedback. I didn't mean to label him that way, its just everyone I talk to or read That is how its mentioned, I understand your point greatly. And trust me he wont win, I'm making this as stress free as possible for him while calming him down. I'm not sure if he is CBB. I'm going to talk to the pet store Friday. I have a funny feeling he might be CHB, not sure if that is the correct Lettering but captive hatched. Either way it doesn't matter but I know it will make the job more difficult.

Any Sites or forums dedicated to them?

Old 07-07-2011, 12:17 AM   #4
hhmoore
I've always taken a somewhat different approach with afrocks...and it has served me quite well. For the time being, minimize handling...don't mess with him unless you have to. When you have to - and you are concerned about being bitten - use a hook. If the bite doesn't bother you, use your hand but keep it simple...gently lift him, and place him in another container (for cage cleaning - at this stage, don't even try it with him in there). When it comes time to put him back, you may want to just open the other container and tilt it toward his enclosure - allowing him to go back on his own.
Rocks, like burms and retics, are hungry, fast growing snakes. Don't skimp on the food (don't over do it, either, lol). It helps to keep them well fed while they are in this stage.
Pay attention to his responses.

After a while, start with more contact (how soon will depend as much on your understanding of the snake as his "attitude"). Keep it simple, and gentle. Lay your hand on him without trying to lift him. Do that every few days, then progress to gently moving him a little bit. Next comes partial lifting, then lifting. It sounds like drawn out process, but it isn't so bad...and it's less stressful on both of you.
I'm a big fan of Afrocks, and I've fostered quite a few of them over the years. The people that eventually took them in have been amazed at their temperaments.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:20 AM   #5
hhmoore
BTW - grabbing a rock behind the head to restrain it is a definite no no.

Old 07-07-2011, 04:17 AM   #6
Utta
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
BTW - grabbing a rock behind the head to restrain it is a definite no no.
i think that goes with any of the large pythons. a lot of times, if you show them aggression, they respond back with it. i dont know if afrocks dont like it more then other snakes though.

Old 07-07-2011, 04:27 AM   #7
hhmoore
The response is similar.....except (IMO) rocks are stronger than burms or retics of the same size. (Keep in mind that most of my experience with rocks and retics was with imports.)

Old 07-07-2011, 11:20 AM   #8
reticguy76
i cant even tell you how much it angers me when i see snakes grabbed and pinned behind the head. i understand out in the wild, but when they are supposed to be "pets", there is no good reason ever to grab a snake behind the head. snakes are more intelligent and aware than people think. they associate that and stay a pissed off snake

Old 07-07-2011, 11:25 AM   #9
lthomas926
I already see the strength difference between them and a burm. And reticguy I agree with you on that. My first burm (my first snake) that is how the guy showed me to get him out and I knew minimal and never tried it that way. Correct me if im wrong, but are Rocks more water snakes then burms and boas?

Old 07-07-2011, 12:05 PM   #10
reticguy76
i dont know if id say they are more "water snakes" persay. they tend like the more of the extra muddy water/swampy type areas. probably right in the middle of a retic (which will definately go into the water) and the anaconda.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!