What are these? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-24-2012, 07:15 PM   #1
loye
What are these?

After giving Monkey his warm soak today I noticed some raised bumps on his underside that go from one hind leg in a straight line across to his other hind leg...anyone know what this is??? Don't remember ever seeing this on him before

Old 02-24-2012, 07:52 PM   #2
mmdragons
Looks like his glands, I cant remember what they are called...
Males have them I havent see them on females before.
Picture 1 is a male water dragon who is still young, but was sexed by his glands.
Picture 2 is one of my breeder males with the same thing
Attached Images

Old 02-24-2012, 07:52 PM   #3
DJ Dragons
What you have there are femoral pores which are more pronounced in males and are used to secrete pheromones to mark territory. Completely normal if you were worried.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:30 PM   #4
LizardLover7
Someone once told me they were wax? 0_o I've personally also noticed them on Green Iguanas, Rhinoceros Iguanas, Uromastix, and all kinds of other lizards. Weird huh? :P

Old 03-16-2012, 08:17 PM   #5
HeatherN
most lizards have femoral pores, those are definitely what those are. usually more pronounced in males (like that boy) they do secrete pheromones (sexy smells) out of the pores in the for of a waxlike substance that often plugs the pores. that its completely normal. these femoral plugs are often rubbed along the males territory in a scent marking behavior. the only time you should be worried about these pores is if they become inflamed or infected looking, if you think the plug is bothering them, a warm bath can often coax the plugs out with some massaging, but always take them to a vet if you suspect infection or blockages. i hope this helps, i remember when i first saw femoral pores on my reptiles, my bearded dragon had some intense smelling hormones! :P

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!