Newbie with tank set up questions - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-02-2019, 08:31 PM   #1
kkatxo
Newbie with tank set up questions

I just bought my first ball python from MorphMarket yesterday, but I have the seller holding onto him until I get his home all set up; I wanted to ensure the temperature & humidity were stable, so any adjustments could be made before his arrival.
In the videos I watched & care sheets that I read, it was suggested to use a plastic tub vs. a glass tank, as the glass tanks come with the screen lids that let out the heat & humidity. I followed these instructions. I purchased a well sized plastic tub with hinge locks, used a wood burner to make air holes, & the whole works. I am running into multiple issues, though:

1. The plastic bottom will not lie flat, it keeps warping up in the middle. Not only is this annoying & makes it impossible for the hides & water bowl to lay flat, but the bottom of the tub will not lay flat on the heat mat.

2. The heat mat is my 2nd issue. I purchased the "Zilla Reptile Terrarium Heat Mat" but it does not seem to get hot enough. I purchased a thermostat controller, but that doesn't seem to be doing the trick either. I believe the heat mat has too low of a wattage. I plugged in a regular heating pad, & that seems to be working better, but... onto my next concern.

3. Where should the probe for the thermostat controller be placed? Underneath the heat pad (touching it directly)? Under the tub, NEXT to the heat pad??

4. If for example, my probe says the temp of the heat pad (when touching it directly) is 92 degrees F, but the thermometer I have directly above the hide says the temp is only 80 degrees F, is this an issue? Does just the bottom of the tub where the snake's belly is touching need to be the "basking temp" or does that whole side of the tub need to be the basking temp? (The cool side has the appropriate temperature, I am just concerned with the warm side)

Does anyone have any suggestions to make my current setup work, or any products they suggest instead? If anyone is using a glass tank, are you using the screen lid or what are you using instead to keep the heat & humidity in? & what is your favorite heat mat or heat pad to use?

Thank you for any & all advice & responses! It is truly appreciated.

Old 06-02-2019, 09:56 PM   #2
bcr229
Sandwich the thermostat probe between the heat pad and the underside of the tub.

Do not worry about the tub being warped because the heat pad should be stuck to the underside of the tub.

Use a heat gun to measure the temperature of the tub floor over top of the heat pad; that is what should read about 90*F. If you use a thermometer with a probe it will read low because very little of the probe is in contact with the floor; you're really reading the air temp over the heat pad.

If you put a hide over the heat pad that will help trap the heat underneath of it.

Oh and congrats on getting your new baby's home prepared and running properly before it arrives; most people don't do that.

Old 06-02-2019, 11:10 PM   #3
kkatxo
THANK YOU!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
Sandwich the thermostat probe between the heat pad and the underside of the tub.

Do not worry about the tub being warped because the heat pad should be stuck to the underside of the tub.

Use a heat gun to measure the temperature of the tub floor over top of the heat pad; that is what should read about 90*F. If you use a thermometer with a probe it will read low because very little of the probe is in contact with the floor; you're really reading the air temp over the heat pad.

If you put a hide over the heat pad that will help trap the heat underneath of it.

Oh and congrats on getting your new baby's home prepared and running properly before it arrives; most people don't do that.
Thank you for taking the time to respond! Your suggestions have been very helpful! I sandwiched the probe between the heat pad & the tub, & ordered a heat gun. Hopefully my baby will be able to come home very soon.

Old 06-03-2019, 05:20 PM   #4
elena
I would like to second Melinda and give you accolades for doing your research, getting the environment stable, and asking good questions before your new snake arrives, not after. If you continue to be so responsible, I'm sure your new python will do very well.

Old 06-03-2019, 07:38 PM   #5
kkatxo
Quote:
Originally Posted by elena View Post
I would like to second Melinda and give you accolades for doing your research, getting the environment stable, and asking good questions before your new snake arrives, not after. If you continue to be so responsible, I'm sure your new python will do very well.
Thank you for the kind praise I hope to have him home by next week! Will post pictures! For the meantime, here is the seller’s photo
Attached Images

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
ball python, question, setup