Naming a company. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 12-31-2002, 08:25 PM   #1
The BoidSmith
Naming a company.

We have discussed the use and abuse of copyrighted pictures. Fine, everyone agrees on that one.

What haven't been addressed in this forum, is the use of business names with an unusual similarity to already established bussinesses that have already earned a solid reputation.

What do the people in here think if someone decides to start selling ETBs or GTPs and used the name "Arboreals of the Forest", or corn snakes under the name "Serpentco" or "Cornatopia or even maybe ball pythons as "The Snakekiper"?

Old 12-31-2002, 10:20 PM   #2
franklinedwards60
Red face I would say

It is wrong and if you wanted to it would be easy to get an injection against them. Just as Victoria's Secret did to Victor's Secret.

Old 12-31-2002, 10:28 PM   #3
dwedeking
When trying to get an injection .... err ... injunction it really helps your position to have your name trademarked.

Old 01-01-2003, 02:36 AM   #4
The BoidSmith
Well,

I would probably label it "business by deception", and there is an example of what I mean closer than you think.

Old 01-01-2003, 11:35 PM   #5
Classic Dum's
I think it shows to a persons mentality and origanality. used to go under "Just Dums" then within 6 months there was all these "just rainboas" and "just boas" and crap well there all gone now. But in any even event we couldnt help but laugh at them all. Or like Ecothermics, Kevin from Fl is a hell of a guy well all the sudden someone going under ectotherms popped up he just ripped it off from Kevin and I know a few of us refused to do buisness with him. people like that are nothing more then lazy and trying to make money of someone elses name in most cases. Now from time to time there are people who honestly didnt know but I think the ones who did outweigh the ones who didnt. Best thing to do is boycott them.

Old 01-02-2003, 12:26 AM   #6
jbuncc
in addition to ectothermz, there is also ectotherm (apparently a supplement company that just started VERY recently).

it'll be interesting to see what those companies do in the future, b/c i know ECTOTHERMICS is going nowhere, kevin and charlotte will be around for years!

Old 01-02-2003, 01:16 PM   #7
Therm
Question

This is a mis-understanding, honestly when my name came around quite a while back ECTOTHERMZ was two people myself (Justin Higgs) and my partner. Well we were looking for a name and he came up with this and at the time ECTOTHERMICS was not apparent to me. Now over that period of time I have really really worked my tail of to bring forth excellent customer service and excellent snakes, I had no intentions of taking a successful businesses name and profitting off of it. ECTOTHERMZ as a business is growing quite well but to be honest I would prefer people to know me as Justin Higgs the person I really am, I don't run a multiple person outfit and have taken nothing and turned it into alot. I just wanted to say that in no way was I over am I ever planning to rip of a successful name and profit off of it. ECTOTHERMICS runs a great opporation and personally I'm setting my focus of boa morphs, but when people ask where they can get top quality locality specific morphs I refer them to ECTOTHERMICS. Well I just wanted to clear the air a bit to those that think that ECTOTHERMZ(Justin Higgs) is a cheap rip off. Thank you for your time.

Justin Higgs
ECTOTHERMZ...

Old 01-02-2003, 01:18 PM   #8
Therm
Sorry about a few typos: I meant to say locality specific... not morphs!

Old 01-02-2003, 01:44 PM   #9
jbuncc
btw, justin, i hope my post didn't sound like your animals aren't of top quality. they are. i bought one from you, lol.
like i said, i'm just curious to see what happens in the future.

also, you indicated that you'd rather be known by who you are, rather than your business name, any changes in the future?

later man, jb

Old 01-02-2003, 01:54 PM   #10
Therm
JB, absolutly no offense taken in any way. I had the pleasure to do business with you! Well as far as that goes whose to say but currently...probably not, the thing is that I have vested so much effort and money into this name and this reputation that I don't forsee it. I'm excited for what the future is going to bring too and really can't wait as ECTOTHERMZ... is blossoming and I'm working on some fun and awesome projects. Thanks everyone!

Best,
Justin Higgs
ECTOTHERMZ...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!