Merry Christmas Everyone!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 12-23-2007, 05:42 PM   #1
ravensgait
Merry Christmas Everyone!!

Funny how such benign words seem to offend some folks!! I usually don't comment here on things like this but well this got under my skin.

I was at a store the other day with my 2 year old daughter. She was riding in the cart and talking to whom ever would listen to her and telling everyone Merry Christmas !! Which seemed to touch the hearts of everyone she said it too. I was getting a kick out of her she was enjoying the attention which only made her more talkative. All was going great till we got in the checkout line, she said Hi, Merry Christmas to the woman in front of us who smiled and said Merry Christmas in return.

My daughter turned back around when another lady moved into line behind us she smiled as my daughter turned and looked up at her. And of course she told told the newcomer Merry Christmas !! and gave the woman a big smile.. I could instantly see on the woman's face that she didn't appreciate the sentiment as her smile fell and she just glared at my daughter and backed up a little. So my daughter said it to her again not realising that what she was saying was bothering the lady. I was at a loss at what to do, thankfully the lady in front of us saw the problem and distracted my daughter before she said it again. I have to admit that if looks could kill the look I gave that woman would have dropped her right then and there and I so wanted to say something to her but with my daughter right there thought it best not too. We got out of the store without further incident and with my daughter wishing a number of other people Merry Christmas along the way all of whom seemed to appreciate the child's words.

Now I know that there are religions ETC that don't celebrate Christmas and my problem with what happened isn't about religion. My problem with it is How these days so many folks go so far out of their way to be OFFENDED !! So you don't celebrate Christmas I don't care but to take offense at the sweet comment of a 2 year old child is digging down way deep to be offended. Just seems to be way tooooo much crap like this now days people trying so hard to be offended .

Well I'll say it anyway if it offends you then you really need to take a look at yourself.. Merry Christmas Everyone!!!!
Randy

Old 12-23-2007, 06:00 PM   #2
shrap
You story was beautiful and brought a big smile to my face, Randy. At least the part about your daughter bringing some joy to others. Dont let other people's ignorance and intolerance take away from that. Just keep thinking about the smiles and good cheer she brought to some people's lives that day.

Merry Christmas to you and yours this holiday season Randy

Old 12-23-2007, 06:29 PM   #3
Lucille
Randy,

Your daughter sounds like a beautiful child. Thank goodness for the lady who distracted her from this awful person.
I think the joy and happiness of a child should be welcomed everywhere.

Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Old 12-23-2007, 06:36 PM   #4
Wilomn
There is also another possible scenario, not to whiz in your wheaties.

I met a woman the other day, total stranger, who while we were talking started to cry. It was her third xmas without her husband of 38 years who dropped dead of a stroke.

She's got kids and family and isn't really alone but she is not really a fan of any of the yuletide spirit because for most of her adult life it was spent with the love of her life.

It's tough to know, sometimes, who's just being rude and who's hiding real pain. Maybe she wasn't so much irked by your daughter's cheer as the memories that are all she has.

Old 12-24-2007, 09:17 AM   #5
ravensgait
Thanks Sammy and Merry Christmas to you and yours!! One of the many great things about kids her age is that they don't understand things like that so she continues to say Merry Christmas to everyone she meets..

Merry Christmas Lucille and I agree it should.

Wes, maybe but the look she had on her face seemed one of insult not pain..
Randy

Old 12-24-2007, 09:41 AM   #6
varnyard
Merry Christmas Randy, I liked the story!!

I hope you and yours is having a great one!!

Old 12-24-2007, 11:22 AM   #7
Mooing Tricycle
Im going to be about as rude as i will probably get with this sort of stuff, but... im not for that politically correct " Happy Holidays" thing, ill say it.. if the situation calls for it, but normally ill just wish people "Merry Christmas!"

I celebrate Christmas and its not even ABOUT religion to me, im not religious at all. its about spending time with my family, the food at Christmas dinner and *oh noes* the commercialized gift giving! *shrugs* S'just how it is for me. to me it has more of the feeling of the Thanksgiving holiday.

i dont care WHAT a person celebrates, theres no reason to be rude about something like that to a persons face when its obviously a well intended greeting. if someone came up to me, and just out of habit said " Happy *__________*" id probably say it back, regardless of the fact i celebrated it or not.

I suppose i have to laugh because this is such a CUTE story, and your daughter sounds like the darned sweetest thing telling EVERYONE she could talk to. and the fact that, i was telling just about everyone at work yesterday too, and i too got a few Scowls or a few "Humbugs" *sighs* People need to chill....

I can see Wes's point too though, and yeah, that would be really hard. Those people, i would truly feel bad for. and to them... i hope they can find some sort of peace in time .

Alright! Enough for me

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL OF YOU!!!!

Old 12-24-2007, 11:36 AM   #8
The BoidSmith
Merry Christmas to all!

Old 12-24-2007, 12:11 PM   #9
WebSlave
Cute story.... Thinking about Wes's theory, I can see that point of view, but still, there is no reason at all for people to try to inflict their pain or displeasure on others to ruin their day. 'Tis the season. If you want to be a wet blanket, stay at home and try to crack your mirror. This is the one time of year when most everyone softens up a bit.

Old 12-24-2007, 12:31 PM   #10
Wilomn
If I hadn't seen it first hand it would not have occured to me that it was a possibility. I guess it was just me trying to have the xmas spirit and find an excuse for someone who was being an idiot.

I know better too.

Anyway, Merry Christmas to you all, eat a lot, hope you get some cool stuff, and thanks for your good wishes.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!