what type of boa to get - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-09-2004, 04:49 PM   #1
mbrown
Question what type of boa to get

hi! i'm new here, my name is Michaela, and i usually go to the cornsnake Forum. i have 1 cornsnake and would love to get a boa. which boa is best? let me tell u a few imprtant things: 1 have 3 kids, ages 10.6 and 2. and a cat. well i dont know if this is really important, cus i dont even let my kids hold the cornsnake yet. anyways, i am a woman with strenth LOL, 6ft tall.BUT i dont think i'll be able to handle anything more than 100 lbs.maybe a little over. but thats my limit. i would be okay with 10-12 ft, but not bigger. also, are all boas called boa constrictors? i mean do they all constrct? or only a certain type? i know the ptshop here sells red tail boas.....but i dont know if i wanna go to a petshop. also, do htey have teeth? and do they bite? of course all snakes can bite, due to stress, mishandling, fear and smelling like food. i understand that. im just wondering if they would just bite for no reason, when u put ur hans in the viv. i think ivre got everything. what i wanted to know most, was what type of boa should i get.and are they really for beginner with only cornsnake experience? oh and one more thing, i wanted my decision to be based on my situation(kids etc.) not someone telling me, lets say a red tail is perfect cus they have one and love it to death thank you.

Old 10-09-2004, 07:34 PM   #2
SPJ
Try a dumerils boa. Very pretty, docile, and do not reach the sizes that red tail boas do.
As far as being around kids, my kids handle dumerils all the time. Think ball python disposition without the feeding problems.

Old 10-09-2004, 07:47 PM   #3
Hognose_311
Yes, all Boas are Boa Constrictors, they have pa pretty good sized teeth at full grown, and it would be extrememley painful to get bit, but normally that doesn't happen for No reason. A dumeril's is a little to advanced for someone with just cornsnake experience, also a little expensive compared to a corn. A neonate normally sells for maybe 175. Any bigger and your heading into the 200 range.

A good beginner boa, yes, would be a Red Tail, or a regular colombian, and yes colOmbian is spelt with an O not a U ColUmbian, ColOmbian is correct. Also a nice rainbow would be good. Visit http://www.offthearkexoticpets.com/ for some caresheets or other snakes you may be interested in.
Call 1-804-744-0330 if you have any questions about any snake you may want.

Old 10-09-2004, 08:06 PM   #4
SPJ
Quote:
A dumeril's is a little to advanced for someone with just cornsnake experience
Why would you say that dums are too advanced for someone with cornsnake experience but yet recommend a rainbow boa?

Dumerils are no harder to keep than a BCI but yet rainbow boas have higher humidity requirements and are usually very snappy as juvies whereas a snappy dumerils would be an exception to the norm.
A rainbow boa would not be a good choice for someone just starting out taking care of boas.

Old 10-09-2004, 10:02 PM   #5
Glenn Bartley
Quote:
Why would you say that dums are too advanced for someone with cornsnake experience but yet recommend a rainbow boa?
Maybe he said that for the same reason he said this:
Quote:
Yes, all Boas are Boa Constrictors...
Go figure how someone could say all Boas are Boa constrictors!

Another Boa to consider, and one of the smaller ones, is the Rubber Boa. Pretty interesting and fairly easy to care for.

Old 10-09-2004, 11:10 PM   #6
FreakOfNature66
I definatly think red tails are good firsts. Dumerils i dont think i have a young one and hes isnt too nice. Rainbows wouldnt recommomend for that fact of the humitity and that snappiness. I think Nics might be good ive seem some nice ones.(Nicaraguan boa sorry me). But myself Im more of a python person. i like the morelia and regius. hehe

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!