Long time no see BP - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-31-2006, 08:35 PM   #1
Skunky
Long time no see BP

We sort of touched tangentially on this in one of the other threads, but still thought I'd get your opinions.

So I fed Colonel Mustard on friday, and ever since he's been hiding -- doesnt even show a snout. Now, usually he's been pretty easy going, cruises the cage, sits and bakes a lot. But now, he does none of that and just hides away. Havent SEEN him in 4 days now..had to lift his hide to make sure he was still in the cage..seriously, I was worried.

Now is this normal behaviour? Is it because he was fed that he's hiding -- help with the digestion? Another crazy thing is he's hiding on the cool side..he's NEVER even set scale in the cold hide before, now he lives there. I've checked the temps, and they've not changed -- why do you think he's all of a sudden switched to the cool side? I moved him yesterday into the warm hide so I could clean the bowl, and noticed this morning he's back in the cold side.

Anyone have any thoughts on the matter, or have similar experiences?

He's due for another (2nd since I've had him) feeding tomorrow (5day cycle), but really not feeling confident about it..he seems like he's on a mission or scared or something?

Old 01-31-2006, 10:57 PM   #2
A_Kendergirl
Hiding is normal after eating (at least it has been with my guy). They normally aren't very active unless they are hungry and looking for food. Don't worry about it too much. What's your cool side temp?

Old 02-01-2006, 08:14 AM   #3
Skunky
I've always known that they're usually secretive snakes..but guess my concern was that he switched from being fairly active, to hiding all day, all night. Was hoping my snake would be the exception the way he started

Cool temp is usually around 78F.

Old 02-01-2006, 10:30 AM   #4
Bill & Amy
You might want to bump that cool side temp to 80-82. Just too make sure, since he is spending all his time on the cool side.

Old 02-01-2006, 11:10 AM   #5
Skunky
I'll see what I can do..may need to get another lamp for the cold side then..relying on the heat from the hot side (UTH and 25W lamp) at the moment to heat up the cool side.

Old 02-01-2006, 11:38 AM   #6
Bill & Amy
I forgot, are you using an aquarium for an enclosure?

Old 02-01-2006, 11:50 AM   #7
Scott Nellis
Talking Wait a minute....

Am I missing something here? If the snake is on the cool side (even after being moved back to the warm side), then it would seem to me that the hot side is too hot!! Bumping up the temps on the cool side doesn't make sense! If it was too cold, the snake wouldn't be there...it would be on the hot side...but it's not. So maybe the hot side is too hot.

As to your snake hiding for several days after eating...that's very normal. That's what snakes do after a meal. When he's out and crawling around is when he's looking for his next meal...lol. Feeding a BP on a 5 day schedule might work when they're babies, but when they get bigger and eat bigger prey, once a week (or even once every 2 weeks) is fine. You'll know when to slow down the feedings when he starts refusing food...lol. Also, a chubby BP is ok, but you gotta watch them...they can get too fat and that's not good for their health.

Scott Nellis

Old 02-01-2006, 12:13 PM   #8
Skunky
Thanks for your input folks. I thought that the reason for him picking the cool side is that the hot side was TOO hot, but the hot side is measuring 88-92F. So it's in the right range. Could just be that he feels more secure in the cool side..it's a smaller, tighter hide for him. Also, it faces a wall, so he's not disturbed by my coming's and going's. i shifted the hot hide around and moved the driftwood over the entrance so he's less exposed..maybe that will help.

I'm feeding him on a 5-7 day schedule. Im not in town over the weekend, so I'll feed him tomorrow -- that's a 6 day gap. He's a little skinny, so sure he can do with the food

Bill..yup, it's an aquarium..blessed thing

Old 02-01-2006, 12:28 PM   #9
Bill & Amy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Nellis
Bumping up the temps on the cool side doesn't make sense! If it was too cold, the snake wouldn't be there...

Scott Nellis
Well the cool side temps are a little low for a hatchling bp. You really shouldn't have to go below 80 degrees unless your breeding. Sometimes the snakes will go to the coldest spot just because they like that hide better and feel more secure. I have switched the two hides around before and then the bp preferred the hot, just because it was a "tighter" hide.

Skunky I think its a good idea to make his warm side hide more "comfortable". Also look into buying some reflectix insulation to wrap the back, 2 sides and top with. It will definately help your cool side temps. Without having to use additional heat source.

Old 02-01-2006, 12:49 PM   #10
Skunky
Nice idea Bill..I'll see what I can do about it! I must say that the temps on the cold side are up around 80F during the day, it's just during the night that they drop below.

I'll also see if bumping my A/C up in the evenings will help..although my snake and I sleep in the same room and I'm sweating as is

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!