How do you know? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-13-2004, 07:38 PM   #1
Angee
How do you know?

I am new to this, but I am hoping that someone out there can help me determine if my leo is infact impacted or not. I have two leos in my tank, one female, the other male. The female I bought for my son for his birthday and is doing just fine. I then bought the male for my other son a couple of months later. I was told that they were about the same age; approx 7 months now. When I first brought the male home he hid a lot and didn't much want anything to do with anyone or anything. I was beginning to think that I had a dominate female. Eventually; couple weeks, he finally ate, cricket or two. We had a fountain in the tank, but had problems with the crickets hiding inside it; waste of money. I took the fountain out, the he started having problems with getting all of the skin off his tail and toes. Tried the vitamin E, didn't work. He seems to have lost weight, has folds in his skin, his poops are mucussy and does not move around the tank very much. I have white calcium sand, have put the foutain back into the tank. The tank's temp is at 70-75 cool side; 85-90 warm side, and the humidity stays mod 50. I offer meal worms all the time in a dish with the dusting stuff and super worms; if they stay in the dish, and crickets every other night. The male ill not eat the worms and is not very quick at catching the crickets. I think that putting the fountain back in has helped with the shedding prob, but the lost weight and poops is really starting to worry me. Need any advise; will try anything; except pulling off back legs of crickets!!

Old 04-14-2004, 04:49 PM   #2
JBrune
I think...

It's best to take him to a vet. There are many things you could be dealing with, but you need to have a professional rule things out such as parasites.
Good luck
Joyce

Old 04-14-2004, 05:05 PM   #3
Vince
Your leo may have worms. if they share a cage and the male has worms there is a good chance they both do now. as for the shedding problem try misting them once a day, and if you dont already have one place a hidbox with a moist substrate inside. have you witnessed the geckos drinking out of the fountin?

Old 04-14-2004, 05:06 PM   #4
Vince
hey, also if you are useing a calci sand the gecko is most likely not impacted, they natural eat and digest sand, many of my leos do this. i dont belive he would be eating and going to the bathroom if he was sand impacted.

Old 04-14-2004, 05:55 PM   #5
WingedWolf
Ridiculous.

This is why I'm starting to believe sand impactions almost NEVER actually happen. People are blaming sand for EVERYTHING!!

The animal is defecating--it is therefore NOT IMPACTED. Impaction means that NO material is moving through the gut. This is a very serious condition that can be deadly within a week if not treated, and is often incureable after a day or two. It generally requires SURGERY to correct. The animal will be extremely lethargic, will not eat, will probably not drink, and will most likely be vomitting. It will not pass urine or feces.

It does not mean the animal ate some sand, and later passed it. It doesn't mean the animal looked ill, so you gave it some oil and it passed sand. It means that no material can move through the gut, AT ALL.

An animal defecating mucousy droppings, losing weight, and acting lethargic probably has parasites, or an intestinal infection of some sort.
Parasites are most likely.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!