Question - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Chameleons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-22-2006, 12:22 AM   #1
crazybandit3
Question

Hi i have a question, if i gett a veild chemelion, can i keep it in glass tank with screen top?

Old 01-22-2006, 12:41 AM   #2
JonathanF
No, you should keep them in a screen type enclosure, they need good ventilation. Also, If you want to get a chameleon do a lot of research on keeping it first, they re demanding reptiles. You should also have everything ready BEFORE you buy one.

Here are what type of enclosures to get:

good luck

Old 01-22-2006, 03:02 PM   #3
crazybandit3
can i use like a bird cage til he get bigger

Old 01-22-2006, 09:53 PM   #4
crazybandit3
i am getinng a baby like 1 month old, can i keep it in a 20 gallon? til hes aa little bigger?

Old 01-22-2006, 11:11 PM   #5
Karen Hulvey
A veiled chameleon is the only chameleon that will actually do well in an aquarium. Just be sure to mist him down at least twice a day and make sure he drinks. A drip watering system would be even better.

Old 01-23-2006, 12:29 AM   #6
crazybandit3
I have a drip system, so how long can he live in a tank:? I plan to buy a viv, but just wondering how long can he live in a tank since i have a lot of tanks.

Old 01-23-2006, 05:41 AM   #7
niels
I know this is usa and many of you will not agree, but I would say yes.
I keep all my chams in cages and they are fine.

Old 01-23-2006, 07:58 PM   #8
crazybandit3
So you keep your veilds in glass cage all its life? Do you see anything like weird behavior?

Old 01-23-2006, 11:17 PM   #9
crazybandit3
ANyone think the same?

Old 01-23-2006, 11:43 PM   #10
COanimalhouse
Bill,

This topic has created huge debates on this forum in the past. I think there are definitely a variety of opinions on this topic. I think there was a long thread posted on this topic some time around last summer, if you wanted to paruse through the old threads you may come across it.

It seems like the most common way to keep chams in the US is in a screen enclosure. I have been told this is because they are more sensitive to respiratory infections than other reptiles and thus they need a lot more ventilation.

However, Niels has quite a nice collection of chams (he has pics on one of the more recent posts) and he keeps them in glass enclosures due to the cold weather in Denmark and his do very well. Some of the cham books talk about glass enclosures as well and recommend that you place a fan blowing across the top (not into the cage) to help provide air circulation.

I personally only have experience with the screen enclosures. My cham has done very well in his, but he was closer 3 months old when I got him. If you do choose to keep him in a glass enclosure I would be interested to hear how it works out for you.

-Julie

ps where is Edwardsville?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!