I need help with my leo gecko! - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-19-2008, 06:20 PM   #11
Amspoet67
Wet moss is good to use if he is having trouble shedding, but I wouldn't recommend it all the time.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:53 PM   #12
RiverFunkRon
so, he's still kicking. I took the moss out. as far as I can tell it's been 9 days since he has eaten

Old 03-20-2008, 10:42 PM   #13
Amspoet67
If you only found pieces of shed, he probably ate that, which is a good thing.
I would just make sure he has clean water and continue to offer him some food. Did you advise the pet store of the problem? Just so they know what's going on.

Old 03-24-2008, 01:05 AM   #14
RiverFunkRon
Yeah, I told them about it. I got another gecko to keep him company. This one is healthy and pretty big. Jorge seems to appreciate the company. Jorge still isn't eating. I've tried taking him out into a separate container and no luck. I have been spraying him daily to make sure he's getting the water he needs.

Old 03-24-2008, 01:24 AM   #15
KelliH
OK... first of all, your gecko DOES need a humid hide. While it is true that leopard geckos can be considered "desert animals", they do not come from an arid desert filled with sand. They come from a more rock/sand/dirt desert area, and normally spend their days in a burrow of some sort or in mountain crevices that are quite humid. They come out at night when it is cooler to hunt.

Aaron, does your heat lamp heat up the entire enclosure, or just part of it? A leo of that size and age should be eating pretty much daily, and 9 days without eating means there is something wrong.

Old 03-24-2008, 01:27 AM   #16
KelliH
Also, adding another gecko was not the best idea, especially if it is larger than Jorge. I would recommend separating them as soon as possible. If Jorge is sick, he will spread whatever parasites, virus or infection he has to your new gecko. This is why it is recommended that you quarantine any new arrivals for at least 30 days before adding them to your existing colony or with another single gecko. If there is much of a size difference, it is a bad idea to put them together no matter what.

Old 03-24-2008, 12:22 PM   #17
homegrownherps
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelliH
OK... first of all, your gecko DOES need a humid hide. While it is true that leopard geckos can be considered "desert animals", they do not come from an arid desert filled with sand. They come from a more rock/sand/dirt desert area, and normally spend their days in a burrow of some sort or in mountain crevices that are quite humid. They come out at night when it is cooler to hunt.

Aaron, does your heat lamp heat up the entire enclosure, or just part of it? A leo of that size and age should be eating pretty much daily, and 9 days without eating means there is something wrong.

Actually, A humid hide is not necessary all the time. It helps to have one available when they are shedding. We have been breeding leopard geckos for about 9-10 years, and we only use a humid hide box when they are shedding and laying eggs ( this could be because we live in Florida). You can also provide humidity by misting their cage each day or so.

Fresh water is not needed every day, offer them fresh water in a bowl once a week ( leave it in for 24 hours then remove it) You can also offer him water by spaying it on the side of the tank, they will lick the water droplets off if they need it.

Can I ask what book you have that you acquired your info from?

In the photo you provided of your gecko, he does not appear to be very healthy. His tail is much to thin. I suggest a trip to the vet.
Your gecko should be eating every 3-4 days, not eating for periods longer 5-6 days could mean problems, most likely parasites. Is your gecko Captive Hatched or Imported? Coming from PetCo I would imagine Imported Wild Caught. And by the looks of it ...probably not treated for parasites.
I also suggest it be quarantined if you have other reptiles.

Also remember that 2 males can not be kept together as they will fight.

Always keep in mind that, what works for one hobbyist - does not always work for another. Watch your animal closely to learn its behavior, from this you will soon find out what it's likes and dislikes are.

Old 03-24-2008, 03:20 PM   #18
KelliH
I've got a few successful breeding seasons under my belt as well, and I know that including a humid hide in the gecko's enclosure is not gonna cause it to stop eating. I'm not even remotely interested in having a leopard gecko husbandry debate here though, so I'll bow out of this thread and let Jim and Anna carry on with their advice. Good luck Aaron.

Old 03-24-2008, 03:52 PM   #19
Amspoet67
Aaron,

If you get any advice from this post please realize as Jim said
"Always keep in mind that, what works for one hobbyist - does not always work for another. Watch your animal closely to learn its behavior, from this you will soon find out what it's likes and dislikes are."

In regards to the humidity, the only reason I suggested this may be a cause was because I do not believe the pet store would have had the animal set up this way and he may not be used to it.

Old 03-24-2008, 04:07 PM   #20
homegrownherps
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelliH
I've got a few successful breeding seasons under my belt as well, and I know that including a humid hide in the gecko's enclosure is not gonna cause it to stop eating. I'm not even remotely interested in having a leopard gecko husbandry debate here though, so I'll bow out of this thread and let Jim and Anna carry on with their advice. Good luck Aaron.

Aaron .....feel free to drop us an email if you need further assistance, and we will try to help if we can.

It's a shame that the people who really need assistance, will suffer for the actions of some of the members on this site.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!