I need help with my leo gecko! - Page 5 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-05-2008, 12:53 PM   #41
RiverFunkRon

This is the set-up I've had for the past 3 weeks. It's got three hides. The coconut on the right has a wet sponge inside it for humidity. The rock in the middle is where they usually hang out during the day. The wood on the left offers another, cooler hide. The UTH is under the coconut and some of the rock hide.

Jorge is still kicking. I've been giving him water through a dropper every other day. A couple days ago I started giving him chicken noodle baby food mixed with a little water through a dropper. He licked up about 1cc of it. Since then he has been more active. He is very small, and I still have not seen him eat any worms or crickets. I leave mealworms in the terrarium in the brown bowl on the left. He gets along really well with carmensita, but I separate jorge to feed him. I'm going to get a new thermometer.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:04 AM   #42
GottaLuvHerps
more advice

i still think that you need to get jorge to a vet for at least a fecal if he is still only "just kicking". by this time you should not have to be feeding him water or baby food, and he should be showing a marked improvement.

you NEED to separate the 2 leos until you know george is healthy and is eating and growing properly. although they seem to get along, if the other leo is bigger than jorge, there are no doubt issues with dominance that you do not see, which can make the issues for jorge even worse. plus if you have 2 males, there will more than likely be fighting soon, if not already. you are also putting yourself at risk for 2 sick leos, which means 2 vet bills (which can get high), and possibly 2 deaths.

you also need to get a new thermometer asap, as the stick-on ones are inaccurate, and your temps may be causing issues as well. you can get an accurite digital with a probe at walmart for under $15. put the probe on the hot side in the middle, and the unit itself on the cool side. right now all you are reading are temps on the glass, and that is not helping. or invest in a temp gun for about $25 online. i personally would get the thermometer until you get temps stabilized, as you need to be able to see them all the time until you know they are correct.

the tank looks to be a 10 gallon. that is not big enough for 2 leos. in my opinion, it is not big enough for 1, but it is the minimum size you can get for 1. if anything, get another 10 gallon for the other leo and set him up that way. or just get a 28qt sterilite container from walmart, drill some holes or convert the top into a screen top (i can give you directions if you want) and set it up that way with proper heating. but they need to be separated.

the bulb you are using seems to be a day bulb - are you leaving that on all the time? if so, you need to be shutting it off at night, or replacing it with a night heat bulb (blue, black, purple or red) and leave it on 24/7 ONCE TEMPS ARE CHECKED. more than likely you do not have your UTH on a rheostat or dimmer, and temps are probably already too high without one, and the bulb is just making them higher.

one other suggestion that may help some - cover at least 1 side, if not 3, with some sort of background. you can use non-adhesive shelf liner or contact paper to give it something cool to look at yet cheap to do. or something as simple as computer paper works too. the leos need the security, and it does help them IMO. it also helps to hold in heat, which can help you get temps correct and have them fluctuate less often.

also, from your pic, it appears that your tank is near a window of some sort? please be careful with that, as the light and heat from the sun can turn your tank into a death trap, raising temps very high and literally cooking your leos. again, you need a good thermometer to make sure temps are good - if the glass is reading 90, the floor most certainly is much higher, and can even be worse if near a window.

if there is anything else you need help with, do not hesitate to ask. but please get these guys separated, fecals to a vet and the temp issue straightened out asap.

kelly

Old 04-09-2008, 12:40 AM   #43
RiverFunkRon
well, Jorge ate tonight. He ate two crickets and one worm. It's the first time I have seen him interested in food in a long time. I guess all of the dropper feeding paid off. I got a digital thermometer. I've found that the sticky one on the glass is pretty acurate, so I put that on the cool side and the digital on the warmer side. I think it may have been getting a little hot during the day with the combonation of day bulb, window, and UTH. It was getting up to about 95 ground temp. So i have gotten them away from the window and am just leaving the night bulb in all the time now, because it stays about 85 in the day and 80 at night like that. Thanks for all the help. Hopefully Jorge will stay interested in food.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:28 AM   #44
GottaLuvHerps
are you planning on separating them as suggested? i really dont think things will get 100% until they are separated and you have fecals run on both. stress can literally kill a little leo like that, and you need to minimize every bit of stress that you can. im glad to hear jorge is eating, but there are other things that IMO need to be addressed.

kelly

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!