Pics of My New CRESTIE Exo-Terra Set up - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-10-2005, 07:10 PM   #1
HerpAddict
Pics of My New CRESTIE Exo-Terra Set up

Hey, I recently bought one of the new Exo-terra tanks, the largest one that measures 18" X 18" X 24" (w X L X h). I've got my two cresties (1.1) in there right now, and I'm hoping to get some new additions at a show next weekend to fill up the tank once they clear my quarantine.

I might still play around with the set up (plants and wood), any suggestions are welcome!

Thanks for looking
Amanda

Old 04-10-2005, 07:44 PM   #2
sircat
looks great...nice job and congrats

Old 04-10-2005, 10:22 PM   #3
EriksReptiles
Very nice looking cage. I am going to get a couple soon! Thanks Erik

Old 04-10-2005, 11:43 PM   #4
Otter_23
How much did the cage cost you?
Mark

Old 04-11-2005, 12:02 AM   #5
EriksReptiles
I dont know about the 18X18X24 but the 18X18X18 is $99.99, the 12X12X18 is $79.99! Erik

Old 04-11-2005, 03:15 AM   #6
Herpcam
Thumbs up

Good looking setup, Amanda. I've looked around a little here for the 24" tall model and haven't seen it yet. I hope to see them at the show next weekend....are you in CA or Canada? How do you like the lock? I was wondering if it had a lifespan on it..if it will wear out?

I've been debating once I get it whether I want to put a natural substrate down or not, as you have. I bet you're going to have a heck of a time finding eggs in there But, even if you miss a couple, they could hatch in that cage. You'd just have to find them before the bigger geckos did, I have read.

Thanks for the picture.

Old 04-11-2005, 05:25 AM   #7
sircat
I'd go nuts missing and worrying about missing eggs if I didn't have mine on paper towel even though natural is very pretty...
even with paper towel there were a couple months last year that they decided to lay eggs under the paper towel and they dried out too quickly

luckily they didn't keep doing that

Old 04-11-2005, 07:55 AM   #8
oscar
i was just at a petco or petsmart.. dont remember which.. and saw the new exoterra's. they look fantastic i think and the one i saw was only 59.99, but not totally sure of the size.

Old 04-11-2005, 09:50 AM   #9
HerpAddict
Well, to answer your question, I am in Canada, so in Canadian this size (18x18x24) costs $99 CAD, which is about $80 USD from what I can tell. I was lucky though as I bought it from The Reptile Store up here, and they gave be $10 off because "they like me", atleast that's what the guy said!

I think the lock is pretty solid on it, and I think it would be easy to fix it if I ever ran into any problems with it wearing out, as it is a pretty simple mechanism.

I've always used a natural substrate because I just think it looks more natural, is probably nicer for the cresties, and it also helps hold in heat and moisture. I have the coco fibre about 6 inches thick in it, and that acts like a huge heat-holding mass!

As far as finding eggs, I've been fairly lucky so far in that my female (Tango) likes to give me warnings that she's going to lay the next night. First of all, she sheds the night before she lays, and she always sheds early enough in the night that I can see it happening. Next, I will find a bunch of divots in the soil, where she has been digging around. Lastly, she tends to take a long time laying, so generally I can actually see her doing it, so I know where she has laid the eggs.

About not finding the 18x18x24 in the US means that they haven't brought it yet? Or it could just be that stores don't want to stock something that big! I'm sure one will pop up somewhere, like at a show or elsewhere!

Thanks!
Amanda

Old 04-11-2005, 10:18 AM   #10
Herpcam
Thank you

Thanks for the reply. You got an awesome price on that cage. Unfortunately I've never been up to Canada. Are all prices a little less than here? (sounds like a dumb question, I know.) The 18x18x18 cage is US$99 here. I asked about whether you were in Ontario, CA, because there is a big Pet Show/Expo here in Los Angeles this weekend, and you mentioned a Show.

You've inspired me to put the BedABeast into the floor of this one. I guess I'll have to get the taller one if for no other reason than a few inches of the bottom will be taken away with substrate. Hopefully they'll have one of the bigger cages this weekend, or I'll keep looking.

Thanks and good luck finding some more at your show this weekend.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!