Blue eyed blonde calking.... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Kingsnakes & Milksnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-21-2005, 08:03 PM   #1
jlassiter
Blue eyed blonde calking....

Here is a male blue eyed blonde cal king. The iris of his eye is blue and the pupil red. He is of Vivid Reptile stock blue eyed blondes.
Thanks for looking,
John Lassiter
Attached Images

Old 02-21-2005, 08:12 PM   #2
Wilomn
He is of the rubyeye or lavender linage isn't he? Very cool looking snake.

Old 02-21-2005, 08:20 PM   #3
jlassiter
Blondes....

Some people believe the lavenders and the blue eyed blondes to be the same morph (Kerby at Lonesome Valley Reptiles for one). Tim Gebhart at Vivid Reptiles believes them to be a completely different morph.

This year I am breeding him to a hypo het for blonde female. Those babies when bred together will produce hypo blonde offspring. I can't wait for these to hatch.

Blue eyed blondes were once found in the Elfin Forest in California. Their habitat is now nonexistent and has been replaced by homes and strip malls.
-John Lassiter-

Old 02-21-2005, 08:26 PM   #4
Wilomn
That is interesting as I have bred them for a number of years and some of the babies have blue eyes and some don't.

Where was the elfin forest?

Old 02-21-2005, 08:37 PM   #5
jlassiter
Elfin Forest...

Wes,
The Elfin forest was in Southern California just north of San Diego and Encinitas.
That is interesting that you produced some offspring with blue eyes and some without. Were these from Lavender to Lavender pairings?
John Lassiter

Old 02-21-2005, 08:51 PM   #6
Wilomn
Yes they were. I like both so I never made a big deal about the difference. I do suspect that it is genetic. There were two guys that found two different individuals, or that used one to start two different lines, John Dyer and John Ruiz. This is what I heard back in "the day" when these were first coming on the market. You could tell them apart by the amount of purple tinting and yellow banding. I produced a bunch over the years and hets as well, mixing the different albinos together, even bred one to a corn snake once.

The thing about cal kings is they are so mixed up genetically there are "sports" popping up every now and then.

About 10 years ago I produced several babies that were BRIGHT purple with fairly bright yellow bands by breeding a rubyeye to a normal albino. The babies were double hets, not expressing any albinism. Unfortunately I made a poor business decision, took on a partner and went from many many breeders, to just a few and the DHs I mentioned disappeared along with the cribos, indigos, false water cobras, all the good stuff.

I often wondered what they could have produced. I've bred other rubyeyes and regular albinos but have never seen babies like those. I am going to try it again this year though.

Old 02-21-2005, 10:16 PM   #7
jlassiter
Calkings..

Wes,
Please let us know how your breeding and hatching goes this summer.
Email me at jlassiterjr54@grandecom.net when you get a chance.
I got some questions for you and you should be able to answer them for me.
Thanks for your breeding info.
John Lassiter

Old 02-25-2005, 10:20 PM   #8
jjhall8
John I have a pair of blue eyed's that are vivid line they are huge I bought them from Josh at Colubrid Concepts in Maine.They have the same eyes that you described.Can't wait to pair them up soon.Not sure whats going on with the genetics on these guys there dosen't seem to be a whole lot of info on them.

Old 02-25-2005, 10:48 PM   #9
jlassiter
Blondes...

Sure would like to see some pictures of your blondes.
And you are right. There isn't a lot of info on them and I believe them to be different than Lavender Albinos, but I could be wrong.
Let us know how your pairing works out. Shoot me an email whenever you have time. I would enjoy sharing notes with you.
John Lassiter

Old 02-26-2005, 12:09 AM   #10
jjhall8
John I'm going to take some pics this weekend.I've never posted pics here before.I will try here and I will post on KS forum.I think you'll like them they are bright lavender with bright yellow bands.Red pupils with blue around the outside.Jeremy

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!