Opening incubator door and taking out containers - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-20-2012, 12:34 AM   #1
juice it
Opening incubator door and taking out containers

I have my eggs in an incubator and it is pretty impossible to see the eggs through the door and into the Tupperware. Is it ok to every few day open the door pull out the containers and look them over? I just checked earlier and two eggs were wrinkling up which I guess is from too low humidity. I sprayed them lightly and put back in quickly. Temp is at 83 and humidity is at 75%. Is this ok to do or do you completely leave them alone for the duration?

Thanks, Jeff

Old 02-20-2012, 10:00 AM   #2
DNA Dragons
No problem opening the door. Temp fluctustions don't seem to.bother the dragon eggs as long as it's withing a safe range (don't take your eggs outside where it's 30 degrees).

At first it is good to watch them and to have an idea how long they will take to hatch. After 4 or 5 clutches you will have an idea how long it takes with your set up and there will be less reason.

Make sure there is a lid on you egg container to trap humidity and.insulate against temp fluctuations (don't forget air holes of course)

90% of the time when the egg dehydrates, if you resupplying water in the form of moistening the incubation medium you can expect no issues whatsoever (with the egg, remember there is a developing embryo inside the egg).

It does happen, it is unfortunate.

It is not suggested to spray the egg directly. Putting a bit of Luke warm water in each corner of the contained should suffice. I.also suggest looking into better incubation mediums or add extra to the container to hold.more.moisture. Taking the lid off 10 times every day will dry it out fast

Old 02-20-2012, 10:01 AM   #3
DNA Dragons
Congrats on the clutch BTW.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:00 AM   #4
juice it
Thanks! I have been pretty good about not opening so far. This whole thing has been quick,(noticed my sons female dragon looked a bit bloated), felt what I thought were eggs got an incubator over here in 2 days and set her up with a nest box and she did her thing. I am not a breeder so I am hoping this will be a great experience for me and my kids. It will be a long 2 months though! Thanks!

Old 02-20-2012, 01:25 PM   #5
DNA Dragons
At that temp it will be a veeerrrry long two months hike it up to 87-89 and you should hit 8 weeks.

Old 02-20-2012, 04:16 PM   #6
Ed Clark
83* F is a good incubation temp I have used that temp on dragon eggs since the mid 1980's with great results. should take around 62-64 days until you start to see tiny heads peeping out.

PS don't ever spray the eggs with water.

Good luck.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:28 PM   #7
DNA Dragons
Yeah Ed, mine took just a hair over 10 weeks at that temp. I have great success with the upper end, it apparently makes no difference. They just hatch faster. (8 weeks compared to 9-10)

Old 02-20-2012, 07:15 PM   #8
juice it
One of the eggs is pretty severely sunken in and a there is a tiny bit of what appears to be yolk secreted out. (like the head of a pin) Does this egg have any hope or should I remove it? There is only one more that has a very small dent, all the others look fine. Humidity looks fine as well. Don't know what to make of the one egg. Any advice would be great. Thanks, Jeff

Old 02-20-2012, 07:46 PM   #9
DNA Dragons
Leave it, I have not lost one to dehydration but I usually catch it at the earliest onset. Leaving it in there for 3 or 4 days wont hurt anything, it may rebound. If you see any type of mould, fungus or bacteria (clear slimy and smells) around the egg remove it and the medium beneath it. It won't hurt anything otherwise.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:47 PM   #10
DNA Dragons
Yolk, there is yellow stuff coming from the egg? Is the egg fertile?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!