How can there be a het leather? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-18-2012, 03:18 AM   #1
OEdwards
How can there be a het leather?

I mean it is a dominant or a co-dominant gene so how is it possible to produce a het leather. Or are people just saying that to add "value" to their reptile.
Okay so I saw an ad in the bearded dragons for sale forum and someone had posted that the parents of the father of their clutch was from two leathers so there for he is het leather but that does not mean they are het leather nor is the father.
OEdwards

Old 03-18-2012, 03:54 AM   #2
AGoodwin
lol. I dont know about beardie morphs, but if it is a dom or co-dom then no, there cant be a het. This reminds me just the other day I had to stop and think for a second when I saw an ad on kingsnake for a het lucy ball. At first I was like.. oh score, then I was like, ... wait a second.... theres no such thing as a het lucy!!!

Old 03-18-2012, 07:48 AM   #3
august quion
Het leather

From what I understand their is a recessive leatherback out their a few people are working with. I'm no expert but I do know a friend that does work with a couple and they visually look more like the American smoothie and not as smooth and uniform as the Italian leather that is co-Dom. I'm sure someone with more experience with them will chime in. I will call my friend and ask more about them and post my findings.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:56 AM   #4
born2ride#56
Het leathers have a poss chance to make smoothies from my under standing aswell. Crazy but they are becoming more rare from what I've heard...

Old 03-18-2012, 11:07 AM   #5
OEdwards
Well let me ask you guys this out of the many a breeder that have these so called hets has any body ever bred two "hets" and gotten leathers.

Old 03-18-2012, 11:20 AM   #6
OEdwards
Also a certain breeder I am not gonna say who but has hypotrans "Het leathers" on page 3 or 4 of the for sale forum said the fathers parents were both leather and he is not so he would be a het so lets put this into more understandable terms.
Here would be the outcomes of all the combinations of two leather parents.
Dominant-all babies leather
Co-Dom- Silks, Leathers and Normal Scaled
Reseccive-Leathers(consider that when you have two Trans a reseccive gene for example you get all Trans and it is a reseccive gene thus you'd get all leathers)
So how in the world did this person have "het leathers".
Thanks,
OEdwards

Old 03-18-2012, 12:09 PM   #7
Cache Reptiles
There are only a few people today that are currently working with the recessive leather gene. From what I've seen, the only breeders consistently working with them are Tammy at Draggintails, Inc and Josh D. at Phantom Dragons (the one who "created" the recessive leathers). Not to say that others aren't (for example, I know that David at Carolina Classic Dragons has a future breeder/breeder that is both a recessive and co-dom leather), but those are the few breeders that have consistently listed them in the past, that actually know what they're talking about.

Genetics 101:

Co-Dominant Genes (Italian/American co-dom leathers)-
Leather X Normal-Scaled animal= 50% leathers, 50% normal-scaled, NO hets
Leather X Leather= 50% leathers, 25% normal-scaled, 25% super form (silkbacks)

Dominant Genes (Dunners)-
Dunner X Normal-Scaled animal= 50% dunners, 50% normal-scaled, NO hets
Dunner X Dunner= 100% dunners (seeing as no one has bred a dunner to a dunner yet, it is still possible that dunners could end up being a co-dominant trait)

Recessive Genes (recessive leathers, hypos, trans, witblits, axanthics, etc)-
Recessive leather X normal-scaled animal= 100% hets
Recessive leather X recessive leather= 100% recessive leathers
Recessive leather X het. recessive leather= 50% recessive leathers, 50% het for recessive leathers
het. Recessive leather X het. recessive leather= 25% recessive leathers, 50% het. for recessive leathers, 25% normal animals.

I hope that helps to explain the genetics of these animals better.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:52 PM   #8
jmp745
^^^I dont think a dunner X dunner is going to give 100% dunners. Just saying, it would be more like 25% regular, 50% dunner, and 25% super. if there is no super, it'll probably be 75% dunner 25% regular. right? I mean who knows really, but if both parents each give the baby a 50 50 shot of being dunner, I think that will still leave 25% who the genes miss completely

rest looks pretty good though

Old 03-18-2012, 02:29 PM   #9
OEdwards
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=306827 this is the ad I was talking about

Old 03-18-2012, 05:19 PM   #10
Ed Clark
Actually there are many people working with recessive leathers.

The italian leathers are co-doms.

Ask questions before you purchase your leatherback to make sure you are getting the type you want to work with.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!